SOLVED

UTM Source not working

Go to solution
Paul_Johnson
Level 5

UTM Source not working

Hello all,

Hoping to get some help. As leads come into the system, the UTM information is not coming through. I'll paste some screenshots below. Is it because these fields are setup as custom SFDC fields not Marketo fields?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: UTM Source not working

Even if they got to it after going to a different page on the website. I would like to know if they came from google/facebook/etc.

For this, you'd use a browser-side JS library that can store-and-forward UTM tags, known referrers, and other touchpoints from page to page, adding hidden form fields when a form is present. Ideally the library will maintain an internal trail of touches, so you can see both their first touch and their "conversion touch" separately.

A robust example is Conversion Path from Romanoff Consulting, for which -- no big surprise! -- I provided engineering guidance. (It's a free library, but they also offer help w/implementation.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

The setup is correct for getting the utm_source query param. Have you looked in the Activity Log for a lead to ensure that the form was posted from a URL with utm_source?

Can you provide the URL of your LP?

Paul_Johnson
Level 5

Get Started - Jive Communications

This is the link to the landing page.

Paul_Johnson
Level 5

Now i'm understanding the issue is there is no UTM info in the url. However that being said, what's the best way to get information on where the lead came from when someone fills out this form. Even if they got to it after going to a different page on the website. I would like to know if they came from google/facebook/etc.

SanfordWhiteman

Even if they got to it after going to a different page on the website. I would like to know if they came from google/facebook/etc.

For this, you'd use a browser-side JS library that can store-and-forward UTM tags, known referrers, and other touchpoints from page to page, adding hidden form fields when a form is present. Ideally the library will maintain an internal trail of touches, so you can see both their first touch and their "conversion touch" separately.

A robust example is Conversion Path from Romanoff Consulting, for which -- no big surprise! -- I provided engineering guidance. (It's a free library, but they also offer help w/implementation.)