Re: UTM params on form submission

Gunpreet_Kaur1
Level 3

UTM params on form submission

Is there a way to submit utm param values as hidden values on form submission from original referral url, without using javascript? I'm doing below(image) but not catching anything on form submission.

Thank you for your help!utm.PNG

17 REPLIES 17
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

did you structure your utm and url correctly?

I think Get Value has a diff option there.

Gunpreet_Kaur1
Level 3

URL is structured like: https://xyz.com/test/marketo/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc and renders like that

Dan_Stevens_

"Get Value" should be "URL Parameter" - not "Referral Parameter".

pastedImage_1.png

Dan_Stevens_

Sorry, read your question too fast.  I don't think this is possible without JS.  Seems like most are turning to this code here: MarTech/UTM-Tracking at master · yanirclsr/MarTech · GitHub​ or https://romanoffconsultants.com/solutions/

Gunpreet_Kaur1
Level 3

Thank you Dan, looks like we will have to implement that js.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

+1 on Dan on this. The original UTMs when the person lands on your web site can only be captured without JS if the Marketo form is on that same first navigation page.

If you want to get the UTM values to persist through the web session and be captured on the second or following page, you will need to store them in cookies or local storage and capture the values from there.

-Greg

Gunpreet_Kaur1
Level 3

Thanks Greg.

The munchkin code does not track that in the original referral? I thought it would capture the first touch url there.

Our developer is not aboard with using js(citing newer browser policies around tracking) and says Marketo is storing and we should use that than dropping our own cookie.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The munchkin code does not track that in the original referral? I thought it would capture the first touch url there.

The Original Referrer is stored on the lead. It isn't stored in the browser (for the obvious reason that the current session may still be anonymous and couldn't possibly know what the value might be once the anonymous session is merged with an already-known lead).

Our developer is not aboard with using js(citing newer browser policies around tracking)

This objection makes no sense. Munchkin already uses JS + cookies for tracking. Adding a persistence layer (and often many such libraries) is normal behavior for a modern website and if the developer doesn't understand that, they should get out of the way.

Gunpreet_Kaur1
Level 3

Appreciate your input Sanford Whiteman