SOLVED

Re: UTM parameters not got carried over.

Go to solution
Deeps
Level 4

UTM parameters not got carried over.

Hi Team,

Please help with this query.

Today I noticed the utm parameters is not carried over to the destination website LP, but it used to be earlier.

We have tracked programs in the past (details below).

We have a google ad clicking on the ad (this is UTM tracking link) takes us on the website LP, website page has multiple gated assets link, clicking each gated asset link takes to another website page which has a form. My understanding is that (infact this used to work fine earlier) the utm's gets carried over to the destination website page; but I now I see utm's are not getting carried over from the initial page because my tracking program stopped attributing the correct lead source.

Please help to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Deepthi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

How are you sequencing the loading of the Forms 2.0 library (forms2.min.js) and the GTM-injected script you’re using for UTM tracking?

Looks to me like you have an obvious race condition.

That UTM tracking script only checks for MktoForms2 once, when it runs, instead of waiting properly for MktoForms2 to be available. As a result, it runs as if there’s no form on the page.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Do you see the UTMs getting carried over in the first hop from Email CTA -> Website? We'd need to see your Website LP where you expect the UTMs to get carried over from the subsequent navigation to the gated content offer pages

Deeps
Level 4

Sorry for the confusion , I dont mean the UTM's are suppose to be getting carried over to the destination page URL.

I mean, the destination page has a form - the form with hidden utm's should capture the UTM's from the initial page, isn't it ?

Thanks,

Deepthi.

Darshil_Shah1

So UTMs are working per the expectations- i..e, coming through okay from Email CTA -> Website LP -> Gated content offer page that has the form, right?

I mean, the destination page has a form - the form with hidden utm's should capture the UTM's from the initial page, isn't it ?

If you have correctly set up the autofill via UTMs for the hidden fields, then yes, on submission the respective UTM parameters' values should be updated on the corresponding hidden form fields. Is that not working for you? Check Set a Hidden Form Field Value >> URL Parameter in the linked product doc page on how to configure autofill UTM values on a hidden field.

Deeps
Level 4

Adding more details.

We are driving traffic to website LP from banner ad.

Banner Ad --> Website LP (calling this as  main LP) this LP has gated asset link, clicking on link will open another LP (calling this as destination LP) which has gated form; now the issue is form on this destination LP is not capturing UTM parameters.

Thanks,

Deepthi.

Deepthi.

Darshil_Shah1

Could you please share your website LP link or at least the script you're using for appending UTMs from it to subsequent gated content offer pages?

Deeps
Level 4

Hi Darshil,

This is the website LP (main LP) : https://www.e2open.com/supply/

UTM tracking link: https://www.e2open.com/supply/?utm_medium=psa&utm_source=paid-6sense&utm_campaign=psa-2023-06-supply...

There are gated asset link on this main LP: https://www.e2open.com/supply/

Link to one of the gated asset:

White paper - Multi-Tier Supply and Planning Collaboration: Find Certainty in an Uncertain World

https://www.e2open.com/resources/multi-tier-supply-and-planning-collaboration-find-certainty-in-an-u...

This LP has gated form.

Thanks,

Deepthi

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You wouldn’t expect a form on https://‌www.e2open.com/resources/multi-tier-supply-and-planning-collaboration-find-certainty-in-an-uncertain-world/ to be able to Autofill fields from UTM parameters on the previous page.

By definition, those aren’t its UTM params, they’re its referrer’s UTM params!

Luckily, because the previous page is also under https://‌www.e2open.com, you can Autofill from what Marketo calls “Referrer Params”, i.e. the query params of the referrer page. You cannot typically do this across origins for security reasons.

Katja_Keesom

So indeed the utm parameters are not carried across to the next page. As mentioned, that is the standard behaviour, but from your original post I understand it used to work in the past. The question is how did it work in the past? Did the utm parameters actually carry across to the next page or did you manage to capture the utm tags on your form fills?

If you managed to capture the utm tags without the parameters carrying across to the download page, you either captured the utm tags in the cookie or used the referrer parameters. In both of these cases something would have changed in your form to capture the tags from a different source (or the process to capture the utm parameters in the cookie is no longer functioning).

If you are sure that the utm tags were actually also present on the download pages, that would most likely have been orchestrated with JS on your web pages, so something would have changed there.

Hope this helps in narrowing down what has changed.

Darshil_Shah1

AFAICT, OP asked a question a few weeks back regarding a custom script to append the query parameters to the next page when visitors navigate from their primary LP. So probably they had a script on the page that worked before, but it doesn't work anymore, maybe? Could you please let us know whether this is the correct understanding, @Deeps? Thanks!