Re: UTM hidden field captured data are not syncing to Salesforce

sallyllmkt
Level 1

UTM hidden field captured data are not syncing to Salesforce

Hi All,

We have a set "Last UTM" fields that would capture the latest utm parameter of the lead/contact who comes to our site and filled out a form. 

These"Last UTM" fields were working fine previously but until recently, any pre-existing record who have a form filled would have these "Last UTM" parameter value captured on their individual Marketo record, however, these data would not sync over to Salesforce. 

We have tried to troubleshoot and checked the sync setting, Marketo API connector user, Field Mapping, Field Management setting to ensure the field is not blocking updates from Marketo, Field validation, Field record type etc. And all of these are mapped correctly and the Marketo API user does have the appropriate permission to access all default and custom fields in our SFDC. 

We have submitted a ticket to Marketo support as well, they said we might have a blockage in our Salesforce Instance that prevents the update, however, we have checked and everything is set up correctly.

Any suggestion or other troubleshooting work do you all suggest we should do? Thank you all in advance for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The fact that it’s a hidden field on a form, and the type of data it holds, aren’t really relevant here.

(Not to say it isn’t good to know in general, but there’s nothing that distinguishes a field called UTM Blahblah from another String field, and the fact that it’s populated via a form fillout is not known to the sync process itself.)

If you change the value of one of these fields from the Marketo UI and then Sync Lead to SFDC, exactly what happens? What is in the Activity Log?

sallyllmkt
Level 1

Thanks for looking into this!

Re: If I change the value of one of these fields from the Marketo UI and then Sync Lead to SFDC

I changed the utm_campaign hidden field just as a test, and in the activity log is not showing any error, it is showing that it's updating the utm_campaign field to the new value that I have inputted and I manually synced this record to see if the change reflected on the SFDC end. But unfortunately, same thing happened, it's not updating on the Salesforce end.

SanfordWhiteman

This still has all the signs of an SFDC permissions issue. Can you log into SFDC as the same SFDC user Marketo is using and edit this field?

sallyllmkt
Level 1

The SFDC User Marketo is using is an API Integrated user, and has a API Role within Marketo's setting. So unfortunately we can't edit the field in Marketo using this integrated user profile (unless we switch this Marketo User's Role from API Role to an Admin Role).

I've tried the other way around, logged in as this Marketo Integrated User in SFDC and tried to edit the field. Unfortunately that would not work for us either because we block updates from SFDC for these "last utm value fields".  And the reason for doing is because we do not want SFDC's value to overwrite what Marketo has captured. 

Would you suggest we remove the "block updates from SFDC" for these fields or? 

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

The SFDC User Marketo is using is an API Integrated user, and has a API Role within Marketo's setting. So unfortunately we can't edit the field in Marketo using this integrated user profile (unless we switch this Marketo User's Role from API Role to an Admin Role).

No settings in Users and Roles, nor in Launchpoint/Custom Services, have anything to do with the SFDC sync. It isn’t necessary to have a Marketo user defined to use the sync, as the Marketo API is not used. So I don’t know what you’re getting at here.

I've tried the other way around, logged in as this Marketo Integrated User in SFDC and tried to edit the field. Unfortunately that would not work for us either because we block updates from SFDC for these "last utm value fields".  And the reason for doing is because we do not want SFDC's value to overwrite what Marketo has captured. 

That’s not “the other way around” really — I was talking about logging into Salesforce with the same SFDC user you’ve defined in Marketo in the Salesforce area. (Not in Users.)

sallyllmkt
Level 1

I see your point, I did logged into SFDC as the Marketo Sync User we have defined in Marketo in the Salesforce area and I could edit those UTM fields.

But after I've tried updating those fields, the updates didn't get reflected in Marketo. And I am thinking if that's because within "Field Management" in Marketo, we've enabled to block updates from SFDC on these UTM fields. And as I mentioned in my previous comment, the reason for doing so is because we do not want SFDC's value to overwrite what Marketo has captured.  

What other things would you suggest us to do for further troubleshooting? Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

But after I've tried updating those fields, the updates didn't get reflected in Marketo. And I am thinking if that's because within "Field Management" in Marketo, we've enabled to block updates from SFDC on these UTM fields.

Yes, by definition you’ve said you don’t want updates made entirely within SFDC side to flow back to Marketo.

But that doesn’t explain changes made by the Marketo sync user not flowing to SFDC, if you can make those changes interactively and they do “stick” in SFDC. In fact that’s exactly what the Marketo sync user does, just via API instead of Lightning/Classic UI.  So if the behavior is different you should be looking for Apex triggers that are reversing the changes.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Would you suggest we remove the "block updates from SFDC" for these fields or? 

Thanks!

Further to Sandy's point - by logging in to SFDC using the Marketo sync user's cred you just would wanna check if you're able to update the data on the UTM field or not in the SFDC. You don't want to check if the the data updated by the logged in sync user in the SFDC gets updated back to the Marketo or not. Essentially, we're just trying to check if the Marketo's sync user has apt permissions to update the field or not, if it has, you should be able to update the data in SFDC when logged in as Marketo sync user. Once that's validated, any update(s) done by the Marketo on that field should get in to SFDC ideally (as Marketo's using the sync user's permission sets to push updates/sync data with the CRM).

sallyllmkt
Level 1

Darshil, thank you for the clarification and explanation below!

I can could that the Marketo sync user could edit those UTM fields when logged into SFDC. 

But all the updates that have been done by Marketo (on those specific fields) are still not reflecting on SFDC. 

Thanks!