Re: UTM Codes, Single Landing Pages & Campaign Sync

Anonymous
Not applicable

UTM Codes, Single Landing Pages & Campaign Sync

Hello Marketo Folks!

As always, I value your feedback on so many questions I have as I dig more into Marketo every day, and I have another question/scenario for you all!

We are looking to streamline more of our Marketo and lead generation processes with the following general scenario:

• Single landing page
  • UTMs created per lead source, all driving to above-mentioned (single) landing page
  • SFDC Campaign Sync turned on
  • Lead Source/Lead Source Detail overwriting turned off / not allowed

We have a general campaign for all website form submissions to be included in - this captures those people coming to our website on their own and filling out a download form. All others (i.e. AdWords, LinkedIn advertising) we would like to go to their own respective campaigns in Marketo and SFDC so that we can track lead attribution more accurately.

Given that we don't allow for overwriting of the Lead Source Detail, and that you can only sync one campaign to one campaign (it can't split), I am concerned that we are going to have leads coming through and defaulting to the main website form submission campaign, lumping everything together into one bucket, rather than separating them out.

Is there a way to get around this to ensure that UTM codes go to their designated campaigns in SFDC? For example, an special step in the associated flow?

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions are welcome as always!

Michelle

11 REPLIES 11
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You need to add hidden fields to your form to route leads. I discuss this here with the FT/LT system:

Marketing Attribution Setup ChecklistMarketing Rockstar Guides

Essentially, you want to drop in the most recent value on the form, then let a campaign route the lead based on the most recent value to the right program.

Usually, I want one Program to one SFDC Campaign to one Form+Page on the site. But you can do what you described as long as there is a campaign routing records to the right program. Alternatively, you could have local campaigns listening for the new value and doing the Change Status. That'd be better if you have dozens of campaigns pointing at the same pages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the quick feedback, Josh.

While I don't anticipate dozens of campaigns pointing at the same landing page (although that might happen over time as older campaigns expire), it would be nice to not have so many versions of the same landing page

I'll take a read through your article / guide and then will have some more information to go to my boss with for discussion and implementation.

Thank you!

Michelle

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh (and Marketo community at large!),

The link you provided is super awesome for general lead attrition and reporting functionality. I will definitely be using this as we update our nurturing and other email marketing programs.

However, in regards to the UTM parameters matching and updating the right fields in Marketo, do you have an example of the flow/smartlist layout and/or the form field set up that would help with this? That would be super helpful as I am not yet sure which hidden fields would work or if I can just simply create my own UTM parameter that matches Lead Source and Lead Source Detail, and then create a flow that updates those fields in the contact/lead when necessary (if they have come to us via multiple leads).

Appreciate the help!

Michelle

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michelle,

I am trying to achieve the same with UTM parameters and need an example on how to set up tracking in MKTO and SFDC.

I have created the hidden fields for the source, medium, and campaign in my form but in am stuck in tracking them in SFDC campaigns and MKTO.

Thanks,

Vipula

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You should open a new thread instead of posting here. Remember, only the OP can mark answers as correct, and it makes searches very confusing when threads stretch over years and years.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, did you receive follow up on this?  I am looking for the same thing.

Josh_Hill13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

Can you help me understand the most efficient way to write UTMs to a

Campaign Member in SFDC via Marketo?

Right now our set up is, a campaign is created in SFDC. We have UTMs

created for the source, medium in the form. Once there is a form fill out

data enters Marketo via the UTMs. Flows are set up in Marketo to add data

to SFDC campaign. Can you provide examples of the Marketo flow/smartlist

layout and SFDC to add UTM sto a campaign member?

How do we ensure a single contact can store multiple utm information

across? Through research I saw this can be done by setting up Workflow

Rules (WFRs) in SFDC via Process Builder and/or Cross-object workflows -

please help here.

Thanks.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Josh Hill <marketingnation@marketo.com>

Josh_Hill13

you would need a customized member object or "response object" or "touch object" to record this.