SOLVED

Re: Using redirect url in non-Marketo email

Go to solution
Debits26
Level 2

Using redirect url in non-Marketo email

Question: How to track clicks on Marketo landing page link in a non-Marketo email, when the landing page is simply a redirect to an external landing page? 

Here's the situation: Our BDRs are sending emails to prospects out of Salesloft. The email has a link to an upcoming industry tradeshow, not affiliated with our company. To try to get some information about who is potentially registering for the show, we created a dummy landing page in Marketo and then created a redirect from that landing page to the external tradeshow registration page. The BDRs are now using the Marketo page link in the emails instead of the direct link to the show.

What do we need to do to track the visitors who click on the email link and "pass through" the Marketo landing page? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Deb McKenzie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

To try to get some information about who is potentially registering for the show, we created a dummy landing page in Marketo and then created a redirect from that landing page to the external tradeshow registration page.

I assume you’re talking about a JS redirect here, please confirm.

What do we need to do to track the visitors who click on the email link and "pass through" the Marketo landing page?

You need to wait for the Munchkin library to log the hit, then redirect. I have a blog post coming out very soon about how to exactly trigger when the hit is complete, not one moment before or after (a hit callback).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

To try to get some information about who is potentially registering for the show, we created a dummy landing page in Marketo and then created a redirect from that landing page to the external tradeshow registration page.

I assume you’re talking about a JS redirect here, please confirm.

You need to wait for the Munchkin library to log the hit, then redirect. I have a blog post coming out very soon about how to exactly trigger when the hit is complete, not one moment before or after (a hit callback).

Debits26
Level 2

Hi Sanford, 

Thanks for the reply. When do you think the blog will be posted? 

SanfordWhiteman

Probably in the next 10 days, but you can already grab the code. Here’s a demo showing the script you need to include (please download teknkl-munchkinhitcb-v1.js and reupload it to your Design Studio).

Make sure the script is loaded before Munchkin.

Then you add an event listener on the document, as in the demo:

document.addEventListener("munchkin.visitWebPage", redirect);

MktoMunchkin :: munchkinHitCallback v1+ [demo]