SOLVED

Using Marketo form data to push through into Custom Object

Go to solution
ilona_buteneers
Level 2

Using Marketo form data to push through into Custom Object

Hi there, 

I'm struggling with the following and hope someone might be able to help me further with this. 

This concerns about Marketo form fill ins & creating custom objects. 

Here is the case: I'm using a Marketo landingpage with a Marketo form in ordere to retrieve data about students regards which kind of information sessions they like to attend at university. 

Since every student can attend multiple information sessions, I'd like to store the data retrieved by the form into a custom object. Since there is a one to many relationship here. I think I will need to use a webhook in order to set this up. But I don't know how to start, I'm not a developer.. 

Any advice on how to tackle this problem is very welcome! 

In Eloqua for instance we don't need a webhook and can just fill custom objects with form retrieved data. 

Many thanks for getting back to me! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using Marketo form data to push through into Custom Object

You‘re 100% right that this can only be done with an assist from a webhook-compatible service.

Bear in mind that “calling a webhook” refers to the act of Marketo passing data to/from another service. It doesn’t actually refer to what the service does per se. (For an extreme example, a webhook could send lead fields to a web service that just always responded “OK” — the webhook was still successfully “called“ in this case, it just would never get anything useful back.)

As for the particulars of the service you call via webhook, it’s quite simple in the sense that you need only a couple of Marketo API calls: [1] get an access_token (assuming your previously cached token isn’t still valid, though you should always try the cached token first); [2] call Create Custom Object. You should also save all the values from a form post to a single field so they can all be sent to the webhook at once. But “simple” still means you’ll need a developer. This isn’t a no-code situation, even if it’s only like 50 lines in someone’s language of choice.

View solution in original post

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@ilona_buteneers ,

per @SanfordWhiteman's solution, using Flowboost (which executes JavaScript as a service) would be ideal here.

I use it for all kinds of things with different clients - it is brilliant.

Cheers

Jo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You‘re 100% right that this can only be done with an assist from a webhook-compatible service.

Bear in mind that “calling a webhook” refers to the act of Marketo passing data to/from another service. It doesn’t actually refer to what the service does per se. (For an extreme example, a webhook could send lead fields to a web service that just always responded “OK” — the webhook was still successfully “called“ in this case, it just would never get anything useful back.)

As for the particulars of the service you call via webhook, it’s quite simple in the sense that you need only a couple of Marketo API calls: [1] get an access_token (assuming your previously cached token isn’t still valid, though you should always try the cached token first); [2] call Create Custom Object. You should also save all the values from a form post to a single field so they can all be sent to the webhook at once. But “simple” still means you’ll need a developer. This isn’t a no-code situation, even if it’s only like 50 lines in someone’s language of choice.

ilona_buteneers
Level 2

Many thanks for getting back to me about this! Makes total sense. Much appreciated! 

Jo_Pitts1

@ilona_buteneers ,

per @SanfordWhiteman's solution, using Flowboost (which executes JavaScript as a service) would be ideal here.

I use it for all kinds of things with different clients - it is brilliant.

Cheers

Jo

ilona_buteneers
Level 2

Hi Jo, 

Thanks for the tip, seems very interesting - also for other type of cases I see! I requested an API key through the Community Signup, let's see where I can get. 

Cheers, 
Ilona 

Jo_Pitts1

Sing out if you need more help.