SOLVED

Re: Using Marketo Form and Requiring Unique Company and Email name

Go to solution
Erik_Eaton
Level 3 - Champion Alumni

Using Marketo Form and Requiring Unique Company and Email name

Good Morning,

I am trying to feed my Marketo form directly into our product. I have the web hooks set up and ready to go. I am looking at a solution that would not let marketo form redirect is the company name / email address is already in our system.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Erik, the webhook fires after the Marketo form has been submitted (and after the Forms API onSuccess event has fired). So you can't manage the post-success redirect because you don't have control of the browser at that point.

If you need a third-party lookup that directly impacts form behavior, you need to make this call from the client and interact with the client-side Forms API. Equiv. to using an address lookup/enrichment service like ReachForce, Google Places, Etumos Verify.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Can you explain the data flow here?

Are you passing a Marketo Form on a Marketo Page to your product via webhook? Why would you not use API?

Erik_Eaton

Hey Josh,

The form would be sitting on a page on our Word Press site.

Initiates by filling out the form. I have the same web hooks that we have used prior. Unfortunately it doesn't reject non unique emails/company names.

And then is processed further down.

(small amount of history- is that we used Gravity Forms but it does not feed directly into the product either, ultimately I wold like our product to be the source of truth).

SanfordWhiteman

Your image isn't showing up, but any case, bear in mind that even if a webhook could control the Follow Up URL, the lead will still be in the system at the point (it has to be in order for the webhook to run in the lead context).

If you want to stop entries from entering your Marketo database you need to validate on the client side.

Erik_Eaton

Sanford,

So essentially it would need to be redirected from with in our products system? so an initial web hook after the form fill and then a redirect if there is an error?

SanfordWhiteman

I wouldn't call it a webhook if it's an Ajax call from the client side. "Webhook" specifically refers to stateless server-to-server requests.

You can make the remote call to your products system in a Forms 2.0 onValidate listener, as it's ultimately a form of extended validation (that's where we validate email addresses, for example).

Then depending on the result from your system, either let them continue to submit the form to Marketo or redirect the document to some other kind of informative error page.

SanfordWhiteman

Erik, the webhook fires after the Marketo form has been submitted (and after the Forms API onSuccess event has fired). So you can't manage the post-success redirect because you don't have control of the browser at that point.

If you need a third-party lookup that directly impacts form behavior, you need to make this call from the client and interact with the client-side Forms API. Equiv. to using an address lookup/enrichment service like ReachForce, Google Places, Etumos Verify.

Erik_Eaton

Sanford, at tad late in my reply but thank you! We ended up using a similar method

SanfordWhiteman

Great, thanks for the update.