Update contact information in SFDC doesn't reflect in Marketo

rebeccaqu
Level 2

Update contact information in SFDC doesn't reflect in Marketo

Hello everyone,

I'm in the early stage of implementing Marketo instance, and currently having issue with getting updated information to be synced between Marketo and SFDC only on Contact object.

Issue:

When I create contact record (either converting from a existing lead or new to the database) in SFDC, the new record is created in MKTO (all values are stamped in Marketo with no issue). However,

1. Change field values (such as title, state, country) in SFDC afterwards, there is no change being captured in MKTO

2. Change field values (such as title, state, country) in MKTO afterwards, there is no change being captured in SFDC as well. And there is no error message receive on MKTO side. I also tried to "Sync Person to SFDC" manually through person actions, then I did get activity tracked in Activity Log in Marketo, which Activity Type is 'Sync Person to SFDC", and Detail is "SFDC Action: update". But data value not being updated in SFDC.

Question:

The permission setting for this sync user has all rights on Contact object, and read and write permission on title, state and country fields I've tested. Could anyone suggest where I should dig into to solve this issue?

Many thanks!

Rebecca

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Update contact information in SFDC doesn't reflect in Marketo

Are the changes on the Marketo side reflected in Marketo when you refresh?

rebeccaqu
Level 2

Hi Sanford,

Yes, changes on Marketo side reflected in Marketo when I refresh.

I also tried to "Sync Person to SFDC" manually through person actions, then I did get activity tracked in Activity Log in Marketo, which Activity Type is 'Sync Person to SFDC", and Detail is "SFDC Action: update". But data value not being updated in SFDC.

Many thanks,

Rebecca

Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello @rebeccaqu ,

Can you verify the record in Marketo is the record in SFDC?  I want to rule out the possibility you are making changes to a duplicate record in one system and checking the other duplicate in the other system for issue #2.
To check in Marketo and then SFDC

• Navigate to the person's activity log. 
  • Check the tab "Info", and look for "SFDC ID" and copy it.
  • In SFDC classic navigate to the record and look at the URL.
  • Compare the last section in the URL with the values from Marketo.
  • I believe the Marketo will have an extra 3 digits at the end, but it should mostly match or be completely different if it is a duplicate.

Next Rule out backlog

• Check with Marketo support to see if you have a backlog in the sync.
  • This could be the reason you are not seeing changes come down from SFDC in a timely manner described in #1.

Thanks,

oz

rebeccaqu
Level 2

Hi @Oz_Platero ,

Thanks for your insights.

1. I verify that the record in Marketo is the record in SFDC, the SFDC IDs are the same.

2. I've checked with Marketo support regarding backlog in the sync.

Here is his replay "The first thing I looked at was to see if there were any backlogs. There was no records pending sync SFDC to 

Marketo or vice versa".

Best,

Rebecca

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'd recommend you triple-check whether your sync user has permission to write to the fields. The behavior you describe is consistent with Marketo being unable to read or write to/from the SFDC record after the initial creation. Maybe there's a process/workflow rule in SFDC that's locking them out after the first sync.

rebeccaqu
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman,

Thank you, I will triple check with our SFDC admin.

Best,

Rebecca