Re: Unsubscribe without filling an email address field

Avi_Castro
Level 2

Unsubscribe without filling an email address field

Hi

I'm trying to build an Unsubscribe LP for my organization and I want to have an option for the user to click on unsubscribe button without filling our an email address form

in other words I want the flow to be:

click on link to unsubscribe via email > get in the LP > click on unsubscribe button > get to a confirmation page

is that possible?

23 REPLIES 23
Josh_Pickles
Level 7

Hi Avi,

You could have a single Smart Campaign with the "Clicks link in email" trigger looking for a specific unsubscribe link. Once clicked, it automatically unsubscribes a person within the flow - this cuts out a step entirely.

Clicks unsubscribe link in email > Visits unsubscribe confirmation page > Marketo unsubscribes lead

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Oooh no, then mail scanners will unsubscribe all your leads.

Josh_Pickles
Level 7

Good point - pre-coffee Josh isn't entirely onto it. 

I typically still use a Marketo Form with just Email address and a submit button, then, based off the LP the form is submitted on, rely on Smart Campaigns to determine what subscription setting to opt a lead out of.

SanfordWhiteman

You can create a form with no fields, only a button. As long as the person arrives from a tracked Marketo link, their Munchkin session will be associated (i.e. the form will be submitted in the context of their lead). It's more common to show the {{lead.Email Address}} token, though, so the person is given clarity about what's about to happen.

Ellie_Lewis3
Level 3

Seconded, I've seen this used before and it worked well. I believe email address was passed in utm parameters though iirc. 

SanfordWhiteman

Don't need the email to be on the form, the automatically added mkt_tok query param takes care of it.

Avi_Castro
Level 2

I didn't get it to be honest

can you lead me through the creation of this flow?

right now I have two fields and submit button

and I implement this form in my unsubscribe LP and make it to be default {{system.unsubscribeLink}} which appears in the footer of my email templates

pastedImage_1.png

SanfordWhiteman

There's no flow. Just remove the Email Address field if you want only the Submit button to show. The form will still submit in the context of the person who clicked the link.

Avi_Castro
Level 2

I try just to enter the URL of the LP I created in the browser and clicked on the button and it worked but if I pass the URL to my colleagues for some it works and for other it doesnt 

how does it know who actually clicked on the button and go to unsubscribe him/her?