SOLVED

Re: Unique Opens & Clicks

Go to solution
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

No product can capture the action of opening an email and reading its content without downloading images. None. There is no flexibility on this subject.

I've already covered your follow-up questions about clicks in my earlier answers. It should've been clear that yelling at other users about perceived shortcomings in the platform is unproductive.

Rohit_Wali
Level 2

Hi Sanford,

If you think a discussion is yelling then I am sorry. Coming to the question, did I mentioned anywhere that an email will be counted as opened without downloading images. I have very simple question how to count UNIQUE OPEN AND CLICKS of my email. Does this make sense ?

SanfordWhiteman

Arbitrary use of all-caps text is considered yelling. Perhaps you did not mean it that way; however, it's still unnecessary to capitalize the phrases in your posts because it simply makes them harder to read.

did I mentioned anywhere that an email will be counted as opened without downloading images.

You didn't specify either way, in fact the whole thread is peppered with terms that have multiple meanings that you haven't clarified.

If you want to know which people in your database opened your email one or more times with images enabled, run a Smart List of people who Opened Email. If you want to know which people in your database clicked one or more links in your email, run a Smart List of people who Clicked Email.

Both of these Smart Lists will show you one row in the result set for each lead, that is, they are grouped by lead with a link to the lead record in Marketo. You may look at the lower right-hand corner of the result to see the number of rows, i.e. number of leads.

If you want to count every single time an email was opened with images enabled and the image was not cached, you must export the activity log. There's no canned report that can show this, because in an EPR Marketo backfills an open event even when there was no on-the-wire Opened Email event logged.  Therefore the EPR Opens column comprises people who truly opened the email with images enabled plus those who did not open the email with images enabled, but did click a link. It does not discretely identify only those who downloaded the tracking pixel.

Similarly, if you want to count every single time an email was clicked by a human or machine, the EPR Clicks column will not suffice because it aggregates multiple clicks on the same branded link by the same recipient. The Email Link Performance Clicks column, on the other hand, will reflect multiple clicks by the same recipient, as you can see by comparing the Clicks and Leads columns.

Frank_Carpenter
Level 2

I had the same issue last week. I sent an email to a small number of people and got a TREMENDOUS response. My instinct was to think "this is too good to be true". Here is my case:

I sent an email to 365 people. The monitoring campaign i used to route leads to SFDC is a trigger - clicked link in email and link is ***.

19 people opened the email. However there are over 1300 clicks n the email. Some leads show between 10 to 25 clicks and they never opened the email. To stop the issue i added opened email to the smart list in the smart campaign but the damage is already done on this and I am concerned that we will have issues in other smart campaigns in my instance.

Marketo's reply:

Just a quick recap, these are definitely coming from security bots on the email server. Remember as more and more emails contain bad links ( and these aren't your emails) the security bots will tighten down on security.

Another thing to consider is that, you said this was the first time you were sending out an email that included this third party link. A lot of times security bots will get tripped when an email contains links to a domain name that doesn't match the domain name the email is coming from.

The best way to work around this is to include that stealth link some where in the email. This will be a link that is hidden to the human eye but the security bot will see within the code. This way you can build a smart list that says "If the person was delivered this email, opened this email, didn't click that hidden/stealth link but did click the intended link" which will give you the folks who actually clicked the proper link.

I had to add an invisible "stealth link" to my email templates near the top of the email so the security bots I was trying to get past hit that link first. Bottom line is that I see an inflated number of clicks due to security bots and the unique links from someone that opened the email is what I have to count on for reporting.

Frank Carpenter
Sr. Marketing Automation Manager
Five9 Inc.
(M) 631-561-8837
SanfordWhiteman

Another thing to consider is that, you said this was the first time you were sending out an email that included this third party link. A lot of times security bots will get tripped when an email contains links to a domain name that doesn't match the domain name the email is coming from.

Nah, that's old FUD. It makes no difference, especially with Marketo-tracked links that are rewritten to go off your tracking domain.

Frank_Carpenter
Level 2

That’s what I thought Sanford. I wish you were on the call with me!

Frank Carpenter

Marketing Automation Manager

Five9, Inc.

631 561 8837

Frank Carpenter
Sr. Marketing Automation Manager
Five9 Inc.
(M) 631-561-8837