Re: Unbounce Integration Issue

Eitan_Rapps1
Level 4

Unbounce Integration Issue

Anyone here with Unbounce forms experience?

I have an Unbounce landing page form integrated with a Marketo List. I wanted to add an additional checkbox field to the form that would sync to a Marketo Boolean (True/False) field. I added the checkbox to the form, and in the Unbounce Integration Settings I synced the Marketo field to the form field. However, each time I try using the form, there is an integration error ("Invalid value for field ____").

I think the problem could be that in Unbounce the form field (checkbox ) is a string field, while in Marketo it's a Boolean (True/False) field.

I can't find an Unbounce field that is Boolean. While Unbounce Support is looking into this, does anyone here have experience and a solution with the same issue?

Thanks.

Eitan Rapps
26 REPLIES 26
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, Unbounce's integration is junk (unless they've changed it in the last month). Have you noticed that it doesn't associate subsequent web activity with the lead? (And it also has a DoS vulnerability.)

You can get better results without the integration, and you don't need to worry about strict typing. (Note there really isn't any such thing as a Boolean field on an HTML form -- Marketo happens to accept the strings "yes" or "no" from the form and translate them, but that's another layer between form and database.)

Eitan_Rapps1
Level 4

We don't need it for web activity, we just use it for unsubscribe pages.

Any suggestions for solving this issue? How to interpret a string field to a True/False field in Marketo?

Eitan Rapps
SanfordWhiteman

We don't need it for web activity, we just use it for unsubscribe pages.

Interesting... doesn't it cost a bit much for that single purpose?

Anyway, no, if their integration can't do this you can't make it so.  All you can do is avoid using the integration.

Lauren_Aquilino
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Hi Eitan,

I hope you've found your answer by now - but in case anyone else stumbles across this I thought I'd reply.

As far as I know, Unbounce only supports string fields. In the past, we have created separate Unbounce fields (string) to hold the data from Unbounce. From there, you can use smart campaigns to populate the boolean fields.

Kind of a PITA. There are definitely more pros to just using Marketo landing pages and forms.

Lauren

SanfordWhiteman

... but that's only a problem if you use an integration which is broken in other fundamental ways, like not associating leads. Can't see why anyone would go that way given a choice.

Lauren_Aquilino
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Sanford,

Couldn't agree more. No reason not to use Marketo landing pages. There are other options for creating templated landing pages that don't give you the runaround.

Lauren

SanfordWhiteman

I meant using Unbounce pages with a working integration, which uses the Marketo Forms API.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because not all marketers are coders and unbounce pages are far easy to create and easier on the eyes. Just look at Marketo form vs. an unbounce form. Night and day.

Also, the UI is top notch.

SanfordWhiteman

At no point did I suggest Unbounce doesn't create pretty pages (quite the opposite, I'm the first to defend their look-and-feel).

But if you use their broken integration, the drastic drop in functionality counterbalances the aesthetic advantages.

Given the choice between broken Unbounce and a working, customized Marketo form, I'd choose the latter.

Given the choice between a fixed Unbounce and a Marketo form, I'd choose the former most of the time.