SOLVED

Re: Two success criteria for same Program

Go to solution
neelambakre
Level 3

Two success criteria for same Program

Hi,

In my emailer, there is only one call-to-action (CTA) with a configured checkout URL. The client is providing us the data of registered users. When a recipient clicks on the checkout URL, they will be directed to their cart. After proceeding with the payment and successfully completing the transaction, another URL should be captured by Marketo to track the conversion. If a person clicks the checkout link he will be tagged as a success, will they be tagged as a success again if they reach the transaction success URL from the checkout page? 

In this scenario, do we need to maintain only a single criterion for tracking the transaction success link landed from the checkout URL? or we can keep both and track success for both ? Please advise.

Thanks

Neelam Bakre
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ShannonKPerkuto
Level 3

Hi @neelambakre ,

Darshil and Sanford make good points here. 

Rather than using "Change Program Success" as the flow step, you could consider Change Program Member Status . That way, you will see the progression of people through the program statuses as they interact with your program, rather than just Success = True/False. The way you have set up your triggers, you will not be able to tell whether someone simply clicked the email CTA, or actually completed the transaction, to reach Success. As Darshil said, it would be best to have ONLY completed transactions associated with the Success stage of the program. An earlier member status could be "Interacted," "Engaged," or "Clicked Email." 

And as Sanford noted, email CTA clicks are not 100% reliable, so separating that activity out from your Success status is advisable. See also Understanding Program Membership

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

You're welcome, @neelambakre! Always happy to be of help. Channel setup looks good, but I'm still not sure about the criteria you've used, i.e., Opens and Clicks, since they're not a reliable indication of genuine human engagement. FWIW, you could be marking a lot of people as reached the program success step due to email clicks by bots.

Could you please validate whether I am heading in the correct direction? Additionally, pls guide on troubleshooting the problem with the "Transaction Success" trigger as It should correctly tracks the success when the URL contains the specified keywords.

Thanks

What you're seeing is the expected behavior. Use the Querystring constraint in the Visits Web Page trigger to net on the specific keyword(s) or pattern in the URL's query string. Just for your reference, the Visits Web Page activity defines "Web Page" as the original Hostname + Pathname + Hash, but the protocol and the query string aren't included in it.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1690661197143.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Darshil_Shah1

IMO if a user cannot click link 2 (Conversion URL) unless they have clicked line 1 (Check-out URL) which I suppose would be the case, as technically, a person couldn't get a conversion/transaction success URL to click unless they have already clicked the checkout URL for placing an order.

If this understanding is accurate, then you should be good with just adding the Check-out URL in your smart campaign. Also, it could be more of a strategy thing, but you also could have an additional success step in your channel to track the click on conversion/transaction success URL in case clicking that CTA is something you'd like to track separately via a program status too.

neelambakre
Level 3

It appears that I should set up two distinct triggers: one for capturing the checkout click success and another for tracking the payment link success.

However, I am uncertain about which filter to use: "Change program Success" or "Change program status"?

Could you please explain their significance?

Checkout Link Success

SL

neelambakre_0-1690537005155.png

Flow

neelambakre_4-1690538248021.png

Payment Link Success

SL

neelambakre_3-1690538114434.png

Flow

neelambakre_4-1690538248021.png

Thanks

Neelam Bakre
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I would never set program success — especially one of this significance — based on an email click. You’ll be polluting your data with mail scanner (bot) clicks.

Also, your 2nd SC doesn’t make sense. You have 2 triggers, and one of them appears to be the exact same as the 1st SC’s trigger (only with [contains] instead of [is], but that looks like a typo) and runs the same flow step.

Are you aware that a Smart Campaign with 2 triggers will fire when either of the triggers match?

Darshil_Shah1

I agree with both things Sandy and Shannon said above! Even with the bot filtering turned on, there's a significant chance that you'd have Clicks and Opens from email scanners/bots. Additionally, with the apt channel progression steps created and marked as success in Admin > Tags and Channel, you can just use the Change Program Status flow step. Transitioning people to the success step(s) would be marked as Success. 🙂

ShannonKPerkuto
Level 3

Hi @neelambakre ,

Darshil and Sanford make good points here. 

Rather than using "Change Program Success" as the flow step, you could consider Change Program Member Status . That way, you will see the progression of people through the program statuses as they interact with your program, rather than just Success = True/False. The way you have set up your triggers, you will not be able to tell whether someone simply clicked the email CTA, or actually completed the transaction, to reach Success. As Darshil said, it would be best to have ONLY completed transactions associated with the Success stage of the program. An earlier member status could be "Interacted," "Engaged," or "Clicked Email." 

And as Sanford noted, email CTA clicks are not 100% reliable, so separating that activity out from your Success status is advisable. See also Understanding Program Membership

neelambakre
Level 3

Hi @ShannonKPerkuto , @Darshil_Shah1 , @SanfordWhiteman ,

First of all, I would like to extend my thanks for your timely response . I have progressed further and set channel tag & created three trigger campaigns as follows:

Channel tag :

neelambakre_0-1690640265983.png

1. Opened Email Trigger: This trigger activates when a user opens an email, and user is tagged as "Opened email" using the "Change program status" step. 

2. Checkout Page Click: When a user clicks the checkout page URL, this trigger is activated, and user is tagged as "Clicked Checkout" using the "Change program status" step.

3. Transaction Success: This trigger is meant to be activated when a user successfully completes a transaction. It should be tagged as "Transaction success" using the "Change program status" step. However, there seems to be an issue with this trigger. The URL provided for tracking transaction success is: "https://example.com/in/en/paymentstatus.html?data=transaction|success|Y|NA|COD|1000.00|INR|". We were asked to track the transaction success when the link contains the keywords "transaction|success". Unfortunately, "visit web page" trigger fails to track payment success when using filter with web page contains "https://example.com/in/en/paymentstatus.html?data=transaction|success".  However, it successfully tracks the event when we replace the URL with "example.com/in/en/paymentstatus.html" by removing the "https://" prefix , "?" and the parameters that come after "?". 

Three email IDs were contacted using a batch campaign, and each email ID performed three different actions. The  results are as follows in Program member section :

neelambakre_1-1690641557273.png

Could you please validate whether I am heading in the correct direction? Additionally, pls guide on troubleshooting the problem with the "Transaction Success" trigger as It should correctly tracks the success when the URL contains the specified keywords.

Thanks

Neelam Bakre
Darshil_Shah1

You're welcome, @neelambakre! Always happy to be of help. Channel setup looks good, but I'm still not sure about the criteria you've used, i.e., Opens and Clicks, since they're not a reliable indication of genuine human engagement. FWIW, you could be marking a lot of people as reached the program success step due to email clicks by bots.

Thanks

What you're seeing is the expected behavior. Use the Querystring constraint in the Visits Web Page trigger to net on the specific keyword(s) or pattern in the URL's query string. Just for your reference, the Visits Web Page activity defines "Web Page" as the original Hostname + Pathname + Hash, but the protocol and the query string aren't included in it.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1690661197143.png

neelambakre
Level 3

Hey @Darshil_Shah1 ,

Its working as expected. Thanks a ton 😊

Neelam Bakre
Darshil_Shah1

Great!! You're welcome. 🙂