Re: Turn off link tracking in text version only?

Paul_Hughes
Level 2

Turn off link tracking in text version only?

I'm interested in seeing if there is a way to disable link tracking in the text-only version at a template level.

It is possible to simply remove the <[[]]> tags in the text-only email, but these are automatically inserted from "Automatically copy from HTML". This means that every new email needs to have these tags manually removed from standard links (such as privacy policy). I'm wondering if there is an option to disable these tags from being generated when I copy from HTML to text in the first place – without removing tracking from the HTML version.

For context: We have determined that the kind of person using a text-only email client is more likely to click a link if it is a normal legible link instead of a lengthy generated mkto link.

2 REPLIES 2
Jackie_Potts
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

The only way I know to disable text only tracking is to remove the tags in the text only email. Otherwise there is no tracking for both the html and text versions.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If you output your links via a Velocity token, you can have the HTML side be tracked and the Text side untracked. This is what I call a "polymorphic token" and there's a blog post about it.

You probably already know this, but for the lurkers, let's be clear that turning off link tracking and not tokenizing the link means sessions will remain anonymous. (There are other articles that mention turning off tracking as it's only about the Clicked Email event, when it's potentially about all web events.)