SOLVED

Trying to Track Clicks on a Marketo Landing Page

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to Track Clicks on a Marketo Landing Page

Hi,

I am trying to track clicks on a Marketo landing page. One link is below an embedded slide deck however I am not sure if Munchkin code has been placed on the third party page where that slide deck is hosted.

Also want to track any clicks on an embedded Google Slide and Vimeo video. What steps do I need to take to ensure we can track clicks on the Marketo landing page?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Trying to Track Clicks on a Marketo Landing Page

Here's sample code that tracks YouTube events (Play, Pause, Play Until End) using Munchkin.  Adapted from YT's guide here.

<!-- 1. this DIV is replaced by the player IFRAME -->
<div id="player"></div>
<script>
  // 2. This code loads the IFrame Player API code asynchronously.
  var tag = document.createElement('script');

tag.src = "https://www.youtube.com/iframe_api";
  document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(tag);

// 3. This function creates an <iframe> (and YouTube player)
  //    after the API code downloads.
  var player, videoId = 'M7lc1UVf-VE';
  function onYouTubeIframeAPIReady() {
    player = new YT.Player('player', {
      height: '390',
      width: '640',
      videoId: videoId,
      events: {
        'onStateChange': onPlayerStateChange
      }
    });
  }

// 4. The API calls this function when the player's state changes.
  function onPlayerStateChange(event) {
    switch( event.data ) {
    case YT.PlayerState.PLAYING:
        Munchkin.munchkinFunction('visitWebPage', {
            url: 'https://youtube.com/'+videoId
           ,params: 'movie-action=pressed-play'
           }
        );
        break;
    case YT.PlayerState.PAUSED:
           ,params: 'movie-action=paused'
           }
        );
        break;
    case YT.PlayerState.ENDED:
           ,params: 'movie-action=played-til-end'
           }
        );
        break;
     }

}
</script>

Of course you probably don't care about multiple Play events and likely don't care about Pause. Play Until End is significant -- but the catch is that the lead could pause 1 sec. before the end and you'd just see a Pause.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You may not be able to track clicks on the embedded objects. Marketo offers a Clicks Link on Web Page filter, so try to see what options it gives you for the embedded link or for that page.

If you want to track those embedded items, you will need to add javascript of some type. Vidyard has a great integration to track your videos.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

could you please give me a hand? We would love to use filter "visited we page" or "click in" our Marketo landing page. The problem we encounter is that any smart campaign can't see Marketo landing page so we are not able to track it. Is there any way how to do so? Any munchkin?

Thanks a lot,

Jan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

How do I track links that are tracked on a Marketo Landing Page. I am playing around with the Smart List Filter 'Clicks Link on Web Page' but it  only pulls up links on our actual website and not from Marketo Landing pages.  How do i get the drop down menu to include these links?

Thank you

Dan_Stevens_

The values for Marketo LPs are different than the URLs you see for your tracked website pages.  For Marketo LPs, the value takes on the asset name, not the URL (e.g., "Program-Name.LP-Name").  Try entering the name of the program where the landing page resides and you should see the name appear here.  Of course, the LP must first be in "approved" mode.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am trying to locate the LINK on a Marketo Landing Page. So looking

up Program-Name.LP-Name

is not going to give me what i need. I want the LINK to be in the drop down

menu low.[image: Inline image 1]

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Dan Stevens <marketingnation@marketo.com>

Dan_Stevens_

You're right, but oftentimes, you'll want to constrain it to the LP so that it's only tracking link activity on that page.  Before any value will show up in the drop-down list, Marketo first needs to index it.  So be sure to click on - assuming you're already a cookied user - and wait for about 15-30 minutes.  Then it should appear.  Do not include the http/https.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked!!! thanks

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Dan Stevens <marketingnation@marketo.com>

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is a standard link on your landing page, it should be tracked automatically. (An exception is if the link is inside a plain text token which are not tracked). 

If you are trying to track interactions with an embedded element like slides or a video, it can be a bit trickier. 

One method, if you can apply javascript to the container, is to create "virtual pageviews" by having the javascript simulate a visit to your domain on a URL that doesn't exist but which represents the click. 

E.g., pages.yourdomain.com/event-you-want-to-track.html

Then this would appear in the activity log and you could trigger and filter on it. 

Eric Hollebone used to have a useful guide for doing this step-by-step, but alas I think the page is down. But that is the gist. 

Alternatively for video you could use a provider like Wistia or Vidyard that integrates and will track these events for you automatically. I use Vidyard myself. Josh Hill published a detailed review: http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/how-to-track-video-in-marketo-with-vidyard-1773/

Doesn't help you with the slides though. There may be a way for these but I haven't had to crack that nut before!
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

In order to track views/clicks within embedded pages (IFRAMEs), either:

[a] the IFRAME needs to load Munchkin.js

or

[b] the IFRAME needs to have code to communicate with Munchkin on the outer page (probably via HTML5 Web Messaging)

If you have neither of these, then you'll only be tracking the views/clicks on the outer page (which could potentially include an initial click that embeds the IFRAME, for example by replacing a placeholder image, but still it won't include navigation within the IFRAME).