Triggering on different link clicks

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Triggering on different link clicks

I have an email with three different CTA links in it. Links go to different pages on my web site.

Now I want to score these clicks like this:

Person clicks one link out of three: 10 points

Person clicks two - different - links out of three: 20 points

Person clicks all three links: 30 points

Is there any elegant way to build that in one Smart Campaign? (I know how to do it in three)

6 REPLIES 6
Kaitlyn_Simko
Level 4

Re: Triggering on different link clicks

One thing to thing about with click scoring is the accuracy of the campaign.  Have you enabled the bot click features in Marketo already?  If you haven't, you will want to Enable Bot Activity Identification in your Marketo subscription, it filters-out most of the email bot activities using the constraints on the Clicked Link in Email trigger/filter as well as proximity patterns.

You could build your smart campaign like so...I would suggest running this as a recurring batch (depending on how long/often you will be sending your email).

Smart list

- Clicked link in email is, define your 3 links, define your time frame (past 1 day, past 2 days)

- Is everyone scored? If not add a suppression here (Like Spam domains, Fraud domains, What if someone clicked unsubscribe too? etc)

- Does your company do anything internally to filter out Bot clicks? If yes, add your custom bot field here

Flow (Link 1 = Y, Link 2 = K, Link 3 = S)

- Change Score - Choice 1 : Member of smart list in Email Link click - All links , change Person Score + 30 (smart list will say, clicked link in email X, Link is Y AND K AND S, In Past Z days)

-------------------- Choice 2: Member of smart list in Email link 1 & 3, change Person Score +20 (smart list will say, clicked link in email X, Link is Y and S and NOT click K, In Past Z days)

-------------------- Choice 3: Member of smart list in Email link 1 & 2, change Person Score +20 (smart list will say, clicked link in email X, Link is Y and K and NOT click S, In Past Z days)

-------------------- Choice 4: Member of smart list in Email link 3 & 2, change Person Score +20 (smart list will say, clicked link in email X, Link is S and K and NOT click Y, In Past Z days)

-------------------- Choice 5: Member of smart list in Email link 1, change Person Score + 10 (smart list will say, clicked link in email X, Link is Y not click K and S, In Past Z days)

-------------------- Choice 6 : Member of smart list in Email link 2, change Person Score + 10 (smart list will say, clicked link in email X, Link is K not click Y and S, In Past Z days)

-------------------- Choice 7 : Member of smart list in Email link 3, change Person Score + 10 (smart list will say, clicked link in email X, Link is S not click Y and K, In Past Z days)

-------------------- Default Choice: Do nothing

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Not sure I would make it that complicated. As each link is worth 10 points, I would create three separate smart campaigns each listening for one specific link. If that link is clicked in that email. add 10 points and set the schedule to only run once for each person. If they click all three links they qualify for each of the smart campaigns and end up with 30 points.

Not too sure about doing lead scoring at this level of detail inside an individual campaign, but I am sure you have a sound use case for it.

Darshil_Shah1

Agreed with, Katja! Using smart list membership condition in the trigger campaign flow would be a costly business as it requires additional queries, introducing system strain and delays. This campaign listens for click-link activities and thus has a chance of receiving a lot of activity (even with the bot filter turned on). A complicated flow like such would not only strain the system but would also be difficult to manage and scale (consider the number of additional smart lists, choice steps one would have to add for adding a 4th link).

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Thank you all for your effort to think that through with me! 🙂

So it seems we can agree there's no elegant way to do that in one Smart Campaign. Let's put a different spin on this:

The Program Statuses for the Program Type "Email Program" are "Member" and "Influenced" out of the box. "Influenced" is pretty unspecific, and I never liked that. But I'm struggling to find something better. Let's say the use case for an Email Program is a newsletter, i.e. an email with links to web pages = no Marketo page or form involved.

So the trigger for someone to become "Influenced" is either a link click or a web page visit. (Only in theory that's the same. In reality the number of persons who click and the number of persons who have "visited web page" in their activity history is vastly different.) So let's say I have program statuses like 

Visits Web Page High

Visits Web Page Med

Visits Web Page Low

and I leave it to marketers to define what's High, Med and Low. Something like Kaitlyn suggested with Clicked A and B = High and so on. Then I could score these program status changes systematically and in an operations area where scoring in my opinion belongs. I actually very much dislike the idea that anybody can change scores in their marketing programs.

Is that a good or a bad idea? Be honest. 🙂

Darshil_Shah1

So, instead of the campaign being triggered directly by the click link in email activities, it would be triggered indirectly by program status updates. I like the idea of triggering campaigns on the basis of status updates as maintaining criteria for including all the applicable email assets in a global campaign's SL criteria would be far more difficult than maintaining criteria for including the required programs in the SL (given that you've got good program naming conventions in place).

Katja_Keesom

Sounds like a far better route to go down indeed.