SOLVED

Re: Trigger for an email / data value change

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trigger for an email / data value change

Hello,

I am going to send an email to new leads that are coming through SFDC. The sync is set up to send over leads from SFDC to Marketo that have a call type of web inquiry and direct call. I want to set up an email to go to the web inquiry leads, and a different email to go to the direct call leads.

Should my trigger for the smart list be "new lead is created" with a filter of call type equals web inquiry. Or;

Would it also work to have the trigger for the smart list be "data value change" with the field call type equals web inquiry. Will Marketo detect this as a data value change for a new lead that is syncing in for the first time? Or must a lead already exist within Marketo, and then it can detect data value changes in fields?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Jordan,

The smart list trigger should be "lead is created" (source: salesforce.com) along with another filter of "call type is: web inquiry or direct call". The flow step would be "send email" with 2 choice conditions: 1. If "call type is web inquiry" send "email 1"; 2. If "call type is direct call" send "email 2".

Since you want to send the email once the lead is created, use that trigger instead of "data value changes" because the value changes trigger does not necessarily have to be met as a new lead. If you are worried the sync will not have time to capture the "call type", delete the call type filter from the smart list and before the send email flow, put a 10 minute wait step.

Marketo will not detect a data value change activity unless it was Marketo that made the data change. Otherwise, it will simply sync new data changes from SFDC and log them as a "sync lead to SFDC" activity.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Devraj_Grewal

Jordan,

The smart list trigger should be "lead is created" (source: salesforce.com) along with another filter of "call type is: web inquiry or direct call". The flow step would be "send email" with 2 choice conditions: 1. If "call type is web inquiry" send "email 1"; 2. If "call type is direct call" send "email 2".

Since you want to send the email once the lead is created, use that trigger instead of "data value changes" because the value changes trigger does not necessarily have to be met as a new lead. If you are worried the sync will not have time to capture the "call type", delete the call type filter from the smart list and before the send email flow, put a 10 minute wait step.

Marketo will not detect a data value change activity unless it was Marketo that made the data change. Otherwise, it will simply sync new data changes from SFDC and log them as a "sync lead to SFDC" activity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Devraj Grewal

Thanks so much for the response. On your last point about data value change activities being recognized only if they were made in Marketo: Let's say a call center advisor fills in a field titled Missed a Call with a timestamp in SFDC. Are you saying that "data value change" of the field Missed a Call would not be an appropriate trigger to use?

Thank you,

Devraj_Grewal

Using the trigger "data value changed" will still work if the change was in SFDC. I just mean I do not believe the "data value changed" will be logged in the activity history unless it was a marketo value change. So for a new lead syncing for the first time, all of those new fields will not be considered a data value changed from "NULL" to a value.

The trigger to use would be "lead is created".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect! That's exactly what I was thinking, that it would not detect it as a change for leads being synced in for the first time. Thanks so much for your help.