SOLVED

Re: Trigger Campaign based on email link's UTM

Go to solution
RaulEr
Level 4

Trigger Campaign based on email link's UTM

Hi,

I know I can store UTMs from links using hidden fields on a form, however, I want to send an email with 2 links (utm_poll=Yes and utm_poll=No, just like a poll) and then in Marketo, see the UTM of that link and check what UTM they clicked on, so I can store that in a custom field and trigger some campaigns. Is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@RaulEr ,

I'm not sure that you need to use UTM for this?

Just have two links, and then have a triggered campaign that looks at which was clicked to then store a value against the person to drive further campaigns.

Also, what @SanfordWhiteman said about not all clicks being legit.  You will need to consider ways to filter out virus scanners etc.

Cheers

Jo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can't copy the value directly from the link to a field, but with only 2 possible values you could just have 2 trigger campaigns w/their own Change Data Value.

HOWEVER trusting that clicks are made by humans instead of mail scanners is not reasonable. If you process all clicks as if they represent human engagement, you'll inflate your stats.
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@RaulEr ,

I'm not sure that you need to use UTM for this?

Just have two links, and then have a triggered campaign that looks at which was clicked to then store a value against the person to drive further campaigns.

Also, what @SanfordWhiteman said about not all clicks being legit.  You will need to consider ways to filter out virus scanners etc.

Cheers

Jo

RaulEr
Level 4

Thanks guys!

So having 2 different links will make it. Since we can’t do polls or any type of questionnaires on emails, I just wanted to capture a Yes or No answer from our clients.