SOLVED

Trigger based on No Activity (Form fill)

Go to solution
derelict_wombat
Level 5

Trigger based on No Activity (Form fill)

Hello all, 

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to setup a trigger based on no activity on an form within a specific timer period. 

Specific use case:
We web form that uses an API to pass submissions to a Marketo form.  This form gets filled out many times every single day.  We recently had an issue where due to a bug by IT the API handshake between the web and the form was failing.  It took several days for me to catch this issue.  

I'm wondering if it was possible to create a trigger that I could use to send myself and alert email if the form doesn't get a submission in a day.  Because all the trigger activities are based on PEOPLE's actions I am thinking this probably isn't possible, but before I give up on this idea I wanted to check with the Marketo HiveMind 

Thanks
Matthew 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Trigger based on No Activity (Form fill)

Your understanding of smart lists working on people is correct. You cannot pull asset level data from it. However, as Michael said, you can create a report with or even a standalone smart list with Filled out Form <Form Name> in past 24 hours and set a daily SL subscription ( or Subscribe to a Basic Report), and if you don't see people in the daily report, you could investigate and check if there is a bug with the integration or there was no form fill in reality and the integration is working fine. Just an FYI, you can also configure to send subscription emails out to people who're not Marketo users. 🙂

Darshil_Shah1_0-1692034915149.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Michael_Florin
Level 10

No, I don't think such a trigger exists. I guess I'd create a daily people performance report sent to myself with filled out form in past 24 hours as the Smart List. That would at least allow you to see instantly if there were no form submissions yesterday.

derelict_wombat
Level 5

Yeah that works. Sadly its really the reverse of what i'm looking for but it will get the job done for now.   My concern is that end users would get "alert fatigue" from monitoring successful form fills.  But this seems to be a limitation of Marketo.  
Thanks for the suggestion

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Your understanding of smart lists working on people is correct. You cannot pull asset level data from it. However, as Michael said, you can create a report with or even a standalone smart list with Filled out Form <Form Name> in past 24 hours and set a daily SL subscription ( or Subscribe to a Basic Report), and if you don't see people in the daily report, you could investigate and check if there is a bug with the integration or there was no form fill in reality and the integration is working fine. Just an FYI, you can also configure to send subscription emails out to people who're not Marketo users. 🙂

Darshil_Shah1_0-1692034915149.png

derelict_wombat
Level 5

Thanks - this makes sense and I'll go ahead and set this up. Wish i could it the other way around so i don't have to keep monitoring successful form fills but I guess this is a limitation of Marketo. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Use a monitoring service to submit the form periodically on behalf of a test lead dedicated to this purpose.

(Any service that supports Selenium browser automation can do this easily. Or you can just copy the POST request for a manual form fill, the exact same payload will always be valid.)

Then run a periodic batch for Not Filled Out Form in past N hours with that person’s email address. We have this kind of round-trip testing in place for several instances, although we use the API to check in/activity instead of Not Filled Out Form it’s otherwise identical.

derelict_wombat
Level 5

I'd have to work my IT web team on setting this up, but this could get to it.  One thing to also consider is the need to add logic to exclude this lead from various workflows and our web analytics platform. Not impossible but more effort than I was hoping for for this use case.  

But I can keep this in mind for as a solution for other automation testing  we have going on.