SOLVED

Re: Tracking web visits via Engage status

Go to solution
Nurture_Ninja
Level 3

Tracking web visits via Engage status

Our company website has hundreds of blog pages. We have created Marketo programs for each of these blogs. The program uses a channel with just one status called 'Engage'. Each program hosts a smart campaign with a filter to track the blog visit in the past 1 day. All programs are synched to a single SF campaign. The SF campaign has the status 'Engaged'. I have knocked off the default statuses Responded and Sent. 

Below are some questions I have:

1. Is the filter the correct mechanism to use here? Trigger would be better but it will drastically slow down the instance as there are hundreds of programs. Will using triggers with trigger tokens be better than filters?

2. The program has been running for the past few days. No campaign members are added so far. I tested visiting the webpage a few days ago, hoping my visit will be captured, but nothing so far. How can I check if I'm cookied in Marketo?

Thanks

NN

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

1. If you can handle the delay of waiting until the next day for updates, filter will be much more efficient and kinder to the instance.

2. When building out Smart List filters, the place to start is the Activity Log of an example person. Relatedly, we can’t tell if someone “should have” qualified unless you show both the ActLog and the SL setup.

View solution in original post

Michael_Florin
Level 10

1. Looks right to me.

2. Program Sync doesn't work for your case. Program Sync is a 1-to-1 relationship between a Marketo Program and a Salesforce Campaign. But you have x programs for your blog and just one campaign to rule them all.

3. Not really sure why you would need tokens, but you can certainly only use one Smart Campaign that reacts to "Change Program Status to Engage" in any program and use that as a trigger or filter for your sync. Like this:

Michael_Florin_1-1701031361870.png

Run this campaign recurrent once a day. Or remove the Date of Activity constraint and set the run condition to "Run only once", as one person can only be in that SFDC campaign once.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

1. If you can handle the delay of waiting until the next day for updates, filter will be much more efficient and kinder to the instance.

2. When building out Smart List filters, the place to start is the Activity Log of an example person. Relatedly, we can’t tell if someone “should have” qualified unless you show both the ActLog and the SL setup.

Nurture_Ninja
Level 3

Thank you for the response. Under activity logs, I see "Sync person updates to SFDC' as the activity for my test lead. However, my test lead is not appearing under program members yet.

Nurture_Ninja
Level 3

Here are a couple of follow-up questions related to my original post.

1. I removed the "Responded" and "Sent" statuses in the SF campaign to align with the "Engaged" status in the Marleto program. "Sent" was the default status in SF, and to delete it, I had to change the default status to "Engage" in SF. I think this is the right approach, but can someone confirm?

2. In Marketo, I can synchronize the SF campaign either at the program level using SF campaign sync or by adding an "Add to SF campaign" step in the flow within the smart campaign with the status set to 'Engaged'. Are there any advantages to one method over the other? Any thoughts?

3. Lastly, since I have to create hundreds of such programs in marketo, is there a way I can leverage Mytokens? 

Thank you.

NN

Michael_Florin
Level 10

1. Looks right to me.

2. Program Sync doesn't work for your case. Program Sync is a 1-to-1 relationship between a Marketo Program and a Salesforce Campaign. But you have x programs for your blog and just one campaign to rule them all.

3. Not really sure why you would need tokens, but you can certainly only use one Smart Campaign that reacts to "Change Program Status to Engage" in any program and use that as a trigger or filter for your sync. Like this:

Michael_Florin_1-1701031361870.png

Run this campaign recurrent once a day. Or remove the Date of Activity constraint and set the run condition to "Run only once", as one person can only be in that SFDC campaign once.

Nurture_Ninja
Level 3

Thank you very much!