SOLVED

Re: Tracking Clicks on a Custom Field URL Button Broken?

Go to solution
nhabischWings
Level 5

Tracking Clicks on a Custom Field URL Button Broken?

Hello All,

I have a Program Status set up to track clicks on a personalized URL that is driven by a Custom Field. This is for a survey and the survey site has the same domain on all URLS so I am using:

- Email IS: *Email we send out*
- Link CONTAINS: *Domain chunk that is in all URLs*

In theory this should work right? It doesn't seem to track and I'm not sure if there's a better way to do this?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Put the protocol in the static part of the body. Not in the variable.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Please show an actual example of how you're building the <a> tag in the email.
nhabischWings
Level 5

Hello,

So here's the code for the module on the template - I apologize for the clunky coding - this was built for us and I haven't done much adjusting.

Header code:

<meta class="mktoList" id="buttonLocation" mktoName="Button Location" values="center,left,right">
<meta class="mktoList" id="buttoncolor" mktoName="Background Color" values="#0072CE,#003087">
<meta class="mktoList" id="buttonbordercolor" mktoName="Border Color" values="#0072CE,#003087">
<meta class="mktoList" id="buttontextcolor" mktoName="Text Color" values="#ffffff" />
<meta class="mktoString" id="buttonLink" mktoName="Button Link" default="http://">
<meta class="mktoString" id="buttonText" mktoName="Button Text" default="Click Here">

Body code:
<!-- ====================Button Only=========================== -->
<tr id="buttonOnly" mktoName="Button" class="mktoModule">

<div style="margin:0px auto;max-width:600px;">
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" role="presentation" style="width:100%;">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="direction:ltr;font-size:0px;padding:5px 20px;text-align:center;">
<!--[if mso | IE]>
<table role="presentation" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr>
<td class="" style="vertical-align:top;width:560px;">
<![endif]-->
<div class="mj-column-per-100 mj-outlook-group-fix" style="font-size:0px;text-align:left;direction:ltr;display:inline-block;vertical-align:top;width:100%;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" role="presentation" style="vertical-align:top;" width="100%">
<tr>
<td align="${buttonLocation}" style="font-size:0px;padding:10px 25px;word-break:break-word;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" role="presentation" style="border-collapse:separate;line-height:100%;">
<tr>
<td align="center" bgcolor="${buttoncolor}" role="presentation" style="border:2px solid ${buttonbordercolor};border-radius:15px 0;cursor:auto;mso-padding-alt:17px 30px;background:${buttoncolor};" valign="middle">
<a href="${buttonLink}" style="display:inline-block;background:${buttoncolor};color:${buttontextcolor};font-family: 'Montserrat', 'sans-serif';font-size:16px;font-weight:bold;line-height:120%;margin:0;text-decoration:none;text-transform:none;padding:12px 20px;mso-padding-alt:0px;border-radius:15px 0;" target="_blank">${buttonText} </a>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div><!--[if mso | IE]>
</td>

</tr>

</table>
<![endif]-->
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</div><!--[if mso | IE]>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

</td>
</tr>
<![endif]-->

</td> </tr>
<!-- ====================End Button Only=========================== -->

In-email, we can change the button color, add the URL, and the Button Text. On a static link the tracking works fine. If I added the Custom Field token in the Link area, the link works as intend - but the tracking aspect seems to be lost.

EDIT: Example of token in the link area: {{lead.Survey Link for New Loan}}

SanfordWhiteman

Put the protocol in the static part of the body. Not in the variable.
nhabischWings
Level 5

Ah okay so you're saying the <a href="${buttonLink}" part should read:

<a href="http://${buttonLink}"

and the URL in the variable instead of being "http://www.123.com" should be "www.123.com" ?

SanfordWhiteman

Yep
nhabischWings
Level 5

Thank you!