Template tips + tricks for specifying link styles and colors within mktoText region so non-developers can use them?

Joe123
Level 2

Template tips + tricks for specifying link styles and colors within mktoText region so non-developers can use them?

When creating Marketo email templates for non-developers to use, we need to rely on them not needing to click the "Edit HTML" button to correct a color or style, and it would be preferred for them to not need to refer to a list of color codes to make sure they get it right if they resort to the color picker.

We can include placeholder content in a module that has the correct inline styles and colors for an example link, where we could even use a variable in the module to allow them to select from a specific palette of three or four colors.

But if they paste over the placeholder content, those inline colors or any Marketo syntax variables are lost. 

ex: 

<strong>Bold text,</strong> <em>italic text,</em> and <a href="https://internet.c?mt={{program.id}}" style="color: ${module-link-color};"><strong>link text</strong></a>.

after pasting in their own content becomes:

The future's up to you<br />So what you <a href="#" target="_blank" id="">gonna do</a>?<br />

abandoning the inline style, which could be a color or a variable:

style="color: ${module-link-color};"

My workaround when editing content myself is to copy/paste the link from the placeholder content, and then modify the copy and link destination, which maintains the inline style, and I can correct the styles for the non-devs after copy goes through the approval process, but that adds more steps to the process. Also, we can't count on non-devs to perform an unintuitive sequence of copy/pastes just to maintain an inline link style. 

We also can't use the "inline css" feature, because that breaks the template and makes the modules in the Modules tab inaccessible. 

Are there no good choices here?

My next step would be to build a standalone Marketo paragraph builder that provides an intermediate where non-devs can edit copy and then paste the code into Marketo. 

Thanks!

Marketo
1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Template tips + tricks for specifying link styles and colors within mktoText region so non-developers can use them?

Well, how good is your JavaScript? 😎

(You can write a hook that automatically adds the styles to new links.)