SOLVED

Re: Tel link tokens not working in Gmail iOS/Android apps

Go to solution
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Tel link tokens not working in Gmail iOS app, working in Android

Hi Community,

I recently found that the tokens we use for tel links are not clickable in the Gmail iOS app.

The format we typically use is either tel:{{Lead.Brand Phone}} or {{Lead.Brand CallTo}}, which looks like this: tel:18885550000.

I have tried both unchecking the Include_mkt_tok box AND the Track Link box, but the links are still unclickable. 😥

Guitarrista82_0-1677787265300.png

I'm aware of another issue with the Gmail for Android app and tried the same workaround above for this, but it didn't work either.

Any idea what the issue might be and if there are any other workarounds?

Our company relies heavily upon phone calls to drive business (we have a full-service call center) and Gmail is a massive user base for our marketing audience.

This is a huge hindrance in our marketing capabilities.

Thanks,

LK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This standard format (called the “global” format) works for me in Gmail for Android (latest 2023 release):

<a href="tel:+1-212-555-0101">+1-212-555-0101</a>

You must turn off all tracking.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman

This standard format (called the “global” format) works for me in Gmail for Android (latest 2023 release):

<a href="tel:+1-212-555-0101">+1-212-555-0101</a>

You must turn off all tracking.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Sanford,

For most of our brands, we typically use lead tokens for our call links. However, for a specific group of brands, we use My Tokens.

The configuration is the same in both cases. We typically set the tel link as tel:18885550000 and we haven't had any problems with it until recently.

However, when we insert the actual number as a link using the usual tel format we use (tel:18885550000) and not a My Token or Lead Token, the number is clickable in the Gmail app for iPhone.

In the my token, I tried the "global" format you recommended, but I'm still running into the same issue--the link not being clickable. 

Guitarrista82_0-1678147061748.png

Guitarrista82_1-1678147087370.png

Not sure if this has anything to do with the link not being clickable in Gmail mobile app, but I did an inspect element in Gmail desktop and see that https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/ appears to be appended to the tel link. 

Guitarrista82_0-1678226454684.png

Kind of at a loss as to any solutions--besides not using tokens for tel links anymore. That would be near impossible because we market to a lot of brands and rely heavily on tokens to streamline our email creation/qa process.

SanfordWhiteman

Do you have SSL on your branding domain?

Guitarrista82
Level 6

It appears that we do:

Guitarrista82_0-1678231699906.png

Forgot to mention that I did disable link tracking in addition to employing the global tel link format.

SanfordWhiteman

That’s your LP domain. Branding domain is under Admin » Email.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Got it...Here's what I see:

Guitarrista82_0-1678296166843.png

Guitarrista82_1-1678296210170.png

It does appear we have SSL.

SanfordWhiteman

Can you send me an email (real email, not test) with an untracked link? I’ll DM you the email addresses.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Will do!

Thanks Sanford.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Untracked TEL links work fine for me in the Gmail Android application. However, they aren't working in the Gmail iOS application (at least not for me).