syncing marketo custom fields after initial sync with salesforce

stacenic
Level 3

syncing marketo custom fields after initial sync with salesforce

Hi All!

Question about syncing Marketo Custom fields to SFDC AFTER the initial sync has already happened. 

I did not set up the initial sync between our Marketo and SFDC instance, I have inherited the current setup. 

I want to sync over Marketo's "Inferred State Region" field to SFDC, and I was reading this article. It's unclear to me if this should all be done before  the initial sync, or if this can be set up after the initial sync as well? 

If it's not possible, I can utilize Marketo's inferred state field to update the state field that we have that does currently sync between the two systems. I understand that the inferred state field is not the most accurate, so I would just have it update the state field if the current value is empty. 

Thoughts? Experiences with the above scenario? 

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: syncing marketo custom fields after initial sync with salesforce

Well, if you want the Inferred State Region field's data in Marketo to sync over to SFDC as well, you'd need to map the Marketo field with the SFDC field (existing or create a new field). You'd need to request the Marketo support to help map the fields together. Ensure that you take the necessary backup of the data present in the field before letting the support team map it.

Also, you can only set the Marketo <-> CRM field mappings during the initial sync setup, once that's finalized and the sync is turned on, you'd need to request Marketo support team to help you with any additional mapping/re-mapping of fields b/w the platforms.

stacenic
Level 3

Thank you Darshil!

It sounds like the easiest thing to do, would be to push the data in the inferred state field, to an existing field we already have synced between the two databases. 

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Great! Just for your knowledge - you can also create a field in SFDC, give the sync user permission to it and it'll sync to Marketo as an unmapped SFDC custom field, you can write data to this field as well. You wouldn't need support's help as you'll be not doing any field mapping in this case. 🙂