Re: Superscript Registered Trademark in Subject Line

Kristin_Magyari
Level 2

Superscript Registered Trademark in Subject Line

Does anyone know if it's possible to superscript a registered trademark character in a Marketo subject line for an email send program?

9 REPLIES 9
Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello @Kristin_Magyari 

Subject line see Sandy's response.

For Body HTML

Superscript

™ 

TM symbol

®

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Subject lines don't use HTML encoding, Oz. They are ASCII at root and clients support Q-encoding.
SanfordWhiteman

The trademark symbol (Unicode x2122, ™) is already defined as a superscripted T and M.

Are you asking if you can use that in a subject line? Yes, you can, though you may need to Q-encode it using my converter here: https://blog.teknkl.com/yes-you-can-use-emojis-in-marketo-subject-lines/ (and also read that post if you haven't already!).

SanfordWhiteman

OK, let's hone in on this a little more. I realize you're referring to the registered trademark character

®

which is Unicode x00AE, not x2122.

The accurate answer to your question is: No, you cannot ensure that the registered trademark is rendered as a superscripted R-in-circle in a Subject: line in all mail clients.

The reason is simple: Unicode character \x00AE "registered sign", unlike the \u2122 "trade mark sign", is not defined in the Unicode standard as superscript.

2020-02-20 18_52_59-The Unicode Standard, Version 12.1.png

2020-02-20 18_51_44-The Unicode Standard, Version 12.1.png

This means that it is entirely up to the creator of a typeface to decide whether their  \u00AE is superscripted vs. other characters in the typeface.

In contrast, the \u2122, at least if you are a well-behaved typeface designer, is supposed to be a superscript rendition of capital "TM". Obviously in super-decorative or artistic fonts the rule is broken deliberately. But in a standard business font, "registered sign" doesn't have a distinct position while "trade mark sign" does.

And you can't dictate which typeface a mail client will use to display the Subject line.  Subjects are just text, they are not HTML. So maybe the mail client uses Courier®, or Arial®, or Comic Sans®, or Impact®, or Lucida Sans®, or Tahoma®... as you can see, those typefaces make their own choices.

SanfordWhiteman

@Kristin_Magyari please check responses to your thread.

Abhinav_Rastogi
Level 1

Hi @Kristin_Magyari , please use the below code in subject line section of the email, it will appear as code in the subject line but when you will take out the sample email you will get the trade mark(TM) in email subject line

=?utf-8?Q?=E2=84=A2=EF=B8=8F_trademark_in_email?=

For registered trade mark use below code

=?utf-8?Q?=C2=AE=EF=B8=8F_trademark_in_email?=

SanfordWhiteman

No, this will not produce a "superscript registered trademark" as requested by the OP.

I already explained this in my earlier answer.  Please don't muddy the waters with incorrect info.

Abhinav_Rastogi
Level 1

Hi @SanfordWhiteman , thanks lot for the update, I've tested the subject line with the code and it worked for me thats why I thought that I've a way out attached are the screen shots for reference. 

Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 9.48.38 PM.png

SanfordWhiteman

That's not a superscript ®.

It's a regular, platform-specific ® emoji variant (as opposed to text variant) that's in standard inline alignment. You also only tested in one client; other  clients will display the text variant, which is also not a superscript ® unless the typeface itself happens to have a superscript glyph.