Re: Stop sync between standard fields of Salesforce and Marketo

Apurva_Patel
Level 2

Stop sync between standard fields of Salesforce and Marketo

We want to stop the sync from Marketo to Salesforce. I did revoke the FLS to edit for my Marketo Profile in Salesforce, but the standard fields such as Lead First name, Last name, email, etc..cannot be changed. Is there a way I can stop this from Marketo? We only want our Leads/Contacts to be updated from SFDC, and not the other way round, keeping on source of truth, which is SFDC. Any ideas? SO IN NEED OF THIS NOW!

8 REPLIES 8
Julz_James
Level 10

Hi,

Can you explain what fields you do or don't want updating in SFDC from Marketo?  There are ways to block field updates in the admin section but can you confirm which way you want to stop the updates?

Thanks

Julz

Apurva_Patel
Level 2

Hi Julz,

I want to stop updates for the following standard fields in SFDC -

1. Name

2. Owner

3. Currency

Thanks for the help!

Julz_James
Level 10

Ok this can be done in Admin, and you can block all field updates from Marketo to SFDC.

Here is the 'How to' from Marketo:

http://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Block+Updates+to+a+Field

And here you can chose what actions you want to block or if you want to block ALL updates made from Marketo.

Hope this helps?

Julz

Apurva_Patel
Level 2

Thanks for link, Julz. But, isn't this blocking for updates in Marketo? I remember this setting, and I have applied it to untrusted import lists. It helps in not updating the field in Marketo, and not in salesforce. If someone goes in and changes the name, it will go and update the SFDC name field in the next sync. Do you have any other idea? Or am I missing something here? Have you tested this out?

Julz_James
Level 10

There is an option to block 'lead detail update' which means that that field can't be updated at all - therefore stopping the information getting back to SFDC.  If someone is making changes one by one in marketo thats really the only option I think unless you want to complete stop those fields being sync'd with each other.

I use this option to stop certain fields being over written in Marketo and SFDC as Marketo pushes the info to SFDC, so if the update is being blocked then it won't push the field changes across as no field changes can be made - does that make sense?

Apurva_Patel
Level 2

Thanks Julz. I will try this out, and let you know. I think I will only keep the option "Salesforce sync" unchecked, so that the Marketo Lead gets updated from Salesforce, and from nowhere else. I have few questions though -

1. Since the source of truth is SFDC now, what will happen if we create a new Lead in SFDC? How will it be created in Marketo?

2. Since the source of truth is SFDC now, what will happen if we create a new Contact in SFDC? How will it be created in Marketo?

3. All the other updates to the existing Leads/Contacts in SFDC will get updated to Marketo, correct?

4. Even if we merge/delete in SFDC, it will update isDeleted in Marketo, correct?

In short, I want the sync to be entirely from SFDC --> Marketo only.

William_Finnen
Level 2

Hi Apurva,

I think you will take a liking to RingLead and how we can assist with your current Marketo and SFDC initiatives.  Please reach me at billy@ringlead.com to discuss further.

Thanks,

Billy

Julz_James
Level 10

Hi,

Right, so you want everything only to be a one way sync then?? What about all the useful information that marketo pulls across, like all the activity history, all their interesting moments, lead scores etc etc.  You can still have that information sync and then block ALL field updates in the Admin section, that will stop anything going back to SFDC I believe.

Marketo already sees SFDC as the master database, so I'd suggest just blocking all field updates that you don't want Marketo to change in SFDC as  I suggested before.

See if that works and let me know.  Feel free to drop me a DM 🙂