Re: Special Characters when downloading data from marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Special Characters when downloading data from marketo

Ok, so I found part of the answer to my question, but my specific case is it doesn't work for my Mac users.

I have a Mac user who gets sent a weekly report. He's in Russia and when individuals fill out our forms in Russian, it appears corretly in Marketo, it syncs with SFDC correctly, and when I download it to my PC manually, using Excel 2007, it appears correctly.

When we download the file as Excel 2007 to a Mac, it shows up as wingdings script.

Any suggestions on how to corret this. Is this a Mac issue where settings within the Mac need to be addressed?

Special Characters when downloading data from marketo or Uploading into Marketo

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Please attach a copy of the report (with offending characters).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the bad data...where the Russian language (line 3) doesn't come through when downloaded by a MAC.

bad data 1.jpg

Here is the same data downloaded using a PC. The Russian language comes through fine.

bad data 2.jpg

Both were downloaded using CSV Windows Excel 2007

Tofa

SanfordWhiteman

The actual file.  Can't troubleshoot a screenshot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, stupid question...how do I upload a file into this system....it allows me to do an image and to do a weblink...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I normally don't work with MACs...I had to go get one from our IT dept. I went through and downloaded the file, saved to the hard drive and am now uploading it.

Again, a report is created automatically on a weekly basis and sent out. When opened on a MAC, is when there is an issue...when people open the file on a PC, no issue.

Where is the attach file button....it's not the image and not the link icon above.

SanfordWhiteman

Go into an existing comment and click Edit.  That will bring up the advanced editor screen, and at the lower right there is an Attach link.  When you first start a discussion, Attach is available by default.

When attaching the file, don't copy-and-paste anything beforehand.  I want the exact file as downloaded from Marketo.  You don't need to download it on a Mac, just don't alter it before uploading here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

uploaded a file...

I think i might not be explaining myself very well.

A reported is created weekly in Marketo and sent to one of my MDs, who doesn't have a Marketo License. He does not download the data directly from Marketo, rather he accesses the data as a downloaded file that is part of the email he is sent. See below.

pastedImage_0.png

He clicks the button that says download report. when he does, it opens in excel but any text that is not english (is Russian) does not populate in the correct language - in this instance Russian.

So the problem is when the report is accessed by a MAC user, it doesn't display correctly in Excel, but when the same report is accessed by a PC user, it displays correctly....which means Marketo is downloading the data into the report correctly...so besides granting my MD access to Marketo so he can download the reports directly and save as Tab Delimited, then copy and paste into a different format...what's a possible solution?

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

You can edit the file format of the subscription data:

pastedImage_2.png

You can associate those kinds of files to directly open in Excel, or you can open the file directly in Excel.

SanfordWhiteman

I can't view this export properly in Excel 2007/Windows, either. So this isn't simply a Mac issue. Like Nicholas points out, try selecting the backward-compatible Excel 2007 format.