Something I discovered today about the constraint "Referrer"

Ari_Echt1
Level 5

Something I discovered today about the constraint "Referrer"

Today I discovered that the constraint "Referrer" means different things on the Filled out Form filter vs. on the Visited Web Page filter. 

I always thought the Referrer constraint meant the previous page visited. So in the filter below, if someone visited the page specified "OA - Calls are the new clicks", and the previous page they were on contained the "facebook.com" URL, they would meet this filter.

0EM50000000Sb2S.jpg

And that is indeed the case for the Visited Web Page filter, but not for the Filled out Form filter. 

When you use the Referrer constraint in the Fills out Form filter, the Referrer actually means the page they were on WHEN they filled out the form. So while I thought the example filter below would catch somoeone who clicked on a facebook link that drove to a Marketo LP with a form on it, and they filled out the form on that page, but turns out it does not catch them. 

0EM50000000Sb2N.jpg

In this case, the Referrer would actually be the Marketo LP where they actually filled out the form. Here's the activity detail showing the Referrer URL for the form fillout, even though the previous page they were on was a facebook page.  

0EM50000000Sb2r.jpg

We had some logic built around this misconception, so I just thought I'd share in case you were thinking Referrer always meant the previous page. 

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Something I discovered today about the constraint "Referrer"

thanks Ari, I hadn't used that referrer on the fills out form filter. A bit odd, so I hope Marketo can fix that or make it clear.