SOLVED

Re: Smart List to Exclude Anyone Currently Active in Another Program

Go to solution
plane
Level 2

Smart List to Exclude Anyone Currently Active in Another Program

I am trying to set up a "general marketing list" that would receive our weekly email blasts but I'm having trouble defining that smart list. We currently obtain leads through form fills in multiple default programs which each have smart campaigns to send a flow of emails (around 5-7 emails in each program with a wait step between each email). 

I want to exclude anyone who could currently be in a flow and already be scheduled to receive an email from us in the next few days, but when I try to use the "Not Member of Program" filter, it filters out all leads because everyone is a member of a program (even if they have received all emails from that program). Should I be removing people from programs once they complete the final flow, or is there another way to filter people that I'm missing?

We do set a "completed flow" status at the end of each campaign, but if someone has completed one program's flow, they could theoretically still be in another program's flow. We also have a follow-up status for when leads are in a program's "follow-up" flow (receiving those 5-7 emails), so I'm thinking I could use "Not program status in ANY program = follow-up" which should exclude anyone who has the status of "Follow-up" in any campaign. I think this might be the way to go, but I just want to double check myself to make sure there isn't a built in filter to say "include someone who is not in any flows (or getting any emails from us) right now."

Thanks in advance!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

There isn't any direct OOTB way to filter people on the basis of if they are/aren't currently in the campaign flow in Marketo, we have a way to filter people on the basis of their campaign membership using the Member of Smart Campaign filter, but this filter applies to people who have either flowed through the campaign or are currently in the wait step/flow step of the campaign (i.e., no way to differentiate if a person is currently receiving emails from any of the campaigns or not).

I think using the follow-up program status as a filter criteria seems like a way to go here as people with that status are definitely receiving emails from one of the campaigns at present since you're changing the status first thing in the campaigns' flow. Also, people who would have received all the emails from a SC would have their status updated to completed flow as a result of the last flow step of the campaigns. This way you would be able to differentiate b/w people who are currently in the campaign flow (status = follow-up) and people who have gone through any of the campaigns' flow (status = completed flow).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Darshil_Shah1

There isn't any direct OOTB way to filter people on the basis of if they are/aren't currently in the campaign flow in Marketo, we have a way to filter people on the basis of their campaign membership using the Member of Smart Campaign filter, but this filter applies to people who have either flowed through the campaign or are currently in the wait step/flow step of the campaign (i.e., no way to differentiate if a person is currently receiving emails from any of the campaigns or not).

I think using the follow-up program status as a filter criteria seems like a way to go here as people with that status are definitely receiving emails from one of the campaigns at present since you're changing the status first thing in the campaigns' flow. Also, people who would have received all the emails from a SC would have their status updated to completed flow as a result of the last flow step of the campaigns. This way you would be able to differentiate b/w people who are currently in the campaign flow (status = follow-up) and people who have gone through any of the campaigns' flow (status = completed flow).

plane
Level 2

Awesome, thanks for this Darshil, I think thats what I'll go with. I wish there was an OOTB way to do this but I think the statuses will work (even though we didn't create them with this in mind unfortunately). 

plane
Level 2

@Darshil_Shah1 - Just thought of another question. Are program statuses unique to each program or just the channel? For example:

1. Lead fills out form and enters Program A 
  2. Program A Status set to: "Follow-Up"
  3. Emails send
  4. Status set to: "Completed Flow"
  5. Same lead fills out form and is added to program B
  6. Is Program B's status set to "Follow Up" or does it remain as "Completed Flow" from program A because the programs are in the same channel? 

Darshil_Shah1

Program Status values for the programs are managed independently for people (i.e., programs' status values don't interfere in updating status for an another program) - even though multiple programs share the same channel - e.g.,  a person could have Channel A > Status A for Program A and Channel A > Status B for Program B at the same time.

1. Is Program B's status set to "Follow Up" or does it remain as "Completed Flow" from program A because the programs are in the same channel? 

Program B's status will update to Follow Up as it doesn't depend on what the person's status is for the Program A.

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you could turn the default programs into Engagement programs, you could use the "Exhausted content" filter for Engagement programs. But I realize that Engagements are limited and sometimes not the right use case for a drip.

Another option is to create a boolean field called "In Active Email Drip" and use flow steps to trigger to "true" when the first email is sent, and twitch to "off" after the last email is sent. Then in your other programs you could filter for "In Active Email Drip = False".

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
plane
Level 2

Thanks Amy, I like that idea of a new field - a very clever solution!! I don't think engagement programs would work for this but I'll check that avenue out as well. Thanks for the help!!