SOLVED

Should we have the munchkin code only on selected pages of the website?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should we have the munchkin code only on selected pages of the website?

Add Munchkin tracking code, but don’t cookie anonymous leads. Visits to the page will be recorded for existing leads (whether known or anonymous), but a new cookie will not be created if no cookie is present, and new anonymous leads will not be created in your Marketo software instance for that page." 
(https://community.marketo.com/MarketoTutorial?id=kA250000000Kz1aCAC)

Is this something Marketo changed recently?

I gather from my team that 3 months ago Marketo told us to have the code on selected pages in order to reduce the number of anonymous leads.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Re: Should we have the munchkin code only on selected pages of the website?

That's right - the general idea is to only put Munchkin on pages for which it's valuable to know your leads are visiting - for example, product pages, pricing, pages where they might click a link to download something relevant, etc. This is primarily to prevent a ton of useless anonymous leads from being created (for example, people who only visited your homepage from a search engine and never went anywhere else).

The code I posted above will not cookie ANY anonymous leads. That should only be used if you don't want anonymous leads at all. This is a separate idea from limiting the number of pages you put the code on. To use the regular code (cookies anonymous leads) just copy what it provides at Admin > Munchkin.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Hi Khushboo,

That part you quoted is 1 of 4 options available - the other 3 all create anonymous leads. In the Dialogue Edition of Marketo, intended for our B2C users, this is the default version of Munchkin.

To stop your Munchkin from placing cookies on anonymous leads, it will need to have the { "cookieAnon" : false } parameter. So the Munchkin code would look like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='//munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>
<script>Munchkin.init('XXX-XXX-XXX', { "cookieAnon" : false });</script>

The difference is also demonstrated in this article:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoTutorial?id=kA250000000Kz4ZCAS

I
'm going to ask our community admin to link to this article at the end of the one you referenced.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It sounds like they are attempting to increase page performance if you don't need to track people on all pages.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grant!

Thanks for getting back to me on this but will it be possible for you to elaborate on it please.

I just recently started using Marketo and thus my knowledge is limited at this point. We are doing a web release tomorrow and based on the team's past conversations & experiences with Marketo, they were having the munchkin code placed on only a select pages.

So if I were to follow what you said in your response, we should have the munchkin code placed on all website pages but the code should look like the one you pasted above? or should we still stick to the approach to have the munchkin code on selected pages to reduce the anonymous leads.

Thanks!

Grant_Booth
Level 10

That's right - the general idea is to only put Munchkin on pages for which it's valuable to know your leads are visiting - for example, product pages, pricing, pages where they might click a link to download something relevant, etc. This is primarily to prevent a ton of useless anonymous leads from being created (for example, people who only visited your homepage from a search engine and never went anywhere else).

The code I posted above will not cookie ANY anonymous leads. That should only be used if you don't want anonymous leads at all. This is a separate idea from limiting the number of pages you put the code on. To use the regular code (cookies anonymous leads) just copy what it provides at Admin > Munchkin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Grant and Josh!