SOLVED

Can you clone a progressive profiling form on a non-marketo landing page and have both instances sync to each other?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you clone a progressive profiling form on a non-marketo landing page and have both instances sync to each other?

Hello!

I have multiple cloned progressive profiling forms in Marketo that will be catered to different sections of the website (non-marketo landing page) and I would like them to sync together:

The form has two parts: the first visit to the form contains basic questions, whereas the second visit to the form requests additional information from the lead. I would like the lead to fill out the first section on any of the cloned forms, and be directed to the 2nd part of the form when visiting any other cloned form. I have tested this functionality on the Marketo landing pages, but am experiencing issues when duplicating the same environment on the actual website.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I learnt that form-pre-fill is not possible on non-marketo landing pages, but does that mean progressive profiling will not work with cloned forms?

Appreciate any help I can get!

Lindsay

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Re: Can you clone a progressive profiling form on a non-marketo landing page and have both instances sync to each other?

A couple of questions:
  • Why are you cloning the forms? You can use the same form on multiple pages and utilize the "Web page" constraint in any smart campaign to differentiate where the submission is taking place. There's nothing really wrong with cloning them, but if there's absolutely no difference between the form, it's probably an excessive step
  • What kind of difficulties are you experiencing with your progressive profiling?
What you're trying to do is pretty basic, asking your initial questions on the first form submit and more in-depth questions on the second. You can run into a certain amount of error with this (certain fields from "Form 2" showing up on "Form 1" or vice versa), but generally it shouldn't be a big deal.

To give an example of one case where you might run into this problem:

My "standard form" has two sets of questions. On first visit, I ask for First Name and Email. Second visit, I ask for Company and Job Title. However, I also have a simple newsletter form submit, which only asks for Email.

If a lead fills out my newsletter form submit first, then when they visit my standard form, the progressive profile (set to show two fields at a time), will ask for First Name and Company.

If you can elaborate more on your problems, we might be able to better advise you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you clone a progressive profiling form on a non-marketo landing page and have both instances sync to each other?

Lindsay,

Progressive profiling will not work without some custom development on the external landing page, but an easy way to get around this issue would be to use an iframe.
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

A couple of questions:
  • Why are you cloning the forms? You can use the same form on multiple pages and utilize the "Web page" constraint in any smart campaign to differentiate where the submission is taking place. There's nothing really wrong with cloning them, but if there's absolutely no difference between the form, it's probably an excessive step
  • What kind of difficulties are you experiencing with your progressive profiling?
What you're trying to do is pretty basic, asking your initial questions on the first form submit and more in-depth questions on the second. You can run into a certain amount of error with this (certain fields from "Form 2" showing up on "Form 1" or vice versa), but generally it shouldn't be a big deal.

To give an example of one case where you might run into this problem:

My "standard form" has two sets of questions. On first visit, I ask for First Name and Email. Second visit, I ask for Company and Job Title. However, I also have a simple newsletter form submit, which only asks for Email.

If a lead fills out my newsletter form submit first, then when they visit my standard form, the progressive profile (set to show two fields at a time), will ask for First Name and Company.

If you can elaborate more on your problems, we might be able to better advise you.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Rajesh and Matt.

I believe our web developer is using an iframe for the progressive profiling forms. 

Here are my answers to your questions Matt:
  • We are cloning the forms because the website URL structure differs based on geographic region. Since we have many white papers and resources we would like to gate with progressive profiling forms, it would be a lot of work to list out all the different combinations of URLs in the smart campaigns associated with autoresponder email flows and lead scoring in the current system. Therefore, we opted to just clone the progressive profiling form and make smart campaigns triggers based on that particular form fill-out action. 
  • I am using the "Add choice" function in the form settings section to move users to different pages in the website based on which form fields they have filled out. 
  • We actually figured out that the reason why progressive profiling wasn't working was because the Marketo munchkin code was not set up properly in the development testing page. I believe our problems should be solved once this is fixed. 
Thanks so much again for all your help! 

Lindsay