SOLVED

SFDC Lead Record Types - handling new leads

Go to solution
HumlDavid
Level 2

SFDC Lead Record Types - handling new leads

I have a an odd request from our Sales team, but I would like to check if I am missing anything. 

We want to run a specific campaign and demand from form should be creating new leads with a new record type ID even if they already exist in Salesforce (under different record type) - create a duplicate. 

This sounds to me as an easy no-go as they won't be able to see any history in Salesforce, interesting moments due to duplicate record + all future problems on Marketo side.

Technically can I even push a new "create" Sync to Salesforce flow step? (I would guess I could delete the lead's id value right before the step).

Do you see any immediate benefit or red flag of this "campaign" specific record type approach (in SFDC? in Marketo?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: SFDC Lead Record Types - handling new leads

IMO simply adding people to the respective SFDC campaign is much better idea than to create duplicate leads for each of the initiative. From an attribution perspective, you can setup  multi-touch attribution to account for the campaign membership touchpoints instead of creating a duplicate record - I think this is a a lot more cleaner and easier to maintain.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1

You can explore SFDC's Web2Lead endpoint for creating the duplicate records in SFDC from the Marketo form. The record type can be included as a hidden field on the form.

Also, I'm with you on not knowingly creating the duplicate records and this has in-general done more bad than good. Marketo uses email address as the default de-duplication field, having multiple people with same email address would cause issues as some processes/activities would be executed/logged for latest updated duplicate record (form-fills) whereas some would be executed/logged for the record with lowest lead id. This post explains the un-intended consequences of  creating duplicate records in Marketo. Hope you find this helpful.

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I don't understand why they want to create dupes?

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
HumlDavid
Level 2

Hi Amy,

We are on the same wave 🙂 From Marketo perspective it's a no-go and we successfully pushed back. 

To my understanding creating a brand new lead with a campaign specific record type would allow attribution to these efforts (we call it "ABM", but it's far from ABM initiative). I would prefer to associate them to a campaign and done. 

I am not the Salesforce expert here, so I might be lagging some bigger picture. 

Darshil_Shah1

IMO simply adding people to the respective SFDC campaign is much better idea than to create duplicate leads for each of the initiative. From an attribution perspective, you can setup  multi-touch attribution to account for the campaign membership touchpoints instead of creating a duplicate record - I think this is a a lot more cleaner and easier to maintain.