SFDC Custom Object Sync Many to One

Michael_Oslin
Level 3

SFDC Custom Object Sync Many to One

Hi,

We have a use case where we want to track which accounts in SFDC have signed up for one of our events.

A third party that manages the event passes us the Person data with a field like Event = "MA19" which indicates that they signed up for this year's event.

Based on that data I want to create a custom object record on the account that that person belongs to in SFDC.

For instance, Jon Smith from ABC Corp comes in and I create a custom object record (via a program/smart campaign) in SFDC.

How do I then stop a creation of a second custom object record if I get someone else from ABC Corp that signs-up?

Thank you-

3 REPLIES 3
Tara_Petre
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Re: SFDC Custom Object Sync Many to One

Michael, can you elaborate on the need for the custom object? Is there a reason you wouldn't store this information using program/campaign member status? What do you ultimately want to do with the information surrounding their event registrations?

Michael_Oslin
Level 3

Glad to elaborate. The custom object is not a marketo one, but rather a SFDC Account related custom object.

To your question 'What do you ultimately want to do with the information surrounding their event registrations?'

I want to report which accounts are attending the show, not a campaign member report. We've tried and it gets messy because the members have a one-to-one relationship with the account so if you summarize by Account Name, you wind up getting the number of records that are attending per account. And in the dashboard it throws off the total numbers because it counts records per account not unique account name. **sigh, i wish SFDC had count unique functions**

So anytime the first person for a given account registers I want to pass/create a custom object that is essentially flagging the Account as "Going to the 2019 Event" but I dont want to pass any subsequent records.

Lauren_Aquilino
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I agree with Tara. You cannot create custom objects natively using Marketo. Seems like a SFDC campaign should work just fine for these purposes.

Lauren