Re: Setting up an unsubscribe smart campaign

Louise_Wright
Level 2

Setting up an unsubscribe smart campaign

Hi, I have a list of unsubscribed leads which I need to import into Marketo from my previous email marketing provider. Do I need to set up a smart campaign to do this? I would appreciate some help and more details on this please.

Many thanks,

Louise 

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, import them as a list called "Unsubscribes"  (or whatever you like).

Then run a campaign for all leads in the list to add to the list "Nurture Unsubscribe"

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Louise,

You can actually set the value of the Unsubscribed field to true when you import the list.  Just add Unsubscribed as another column in the list, give everyone a value of True, and then map that column to the Unsubscribed field when you import the lists.

John

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

John has the correct answer.

Why do you need to import this list though? In general, it is better to leave the Unsubs behind if they are not customers or active leads being worked by Sales.

Otherwise, be sure to bring in their Opt Out field (or subscription field) when you do the migration and keep their original setting.

Juan_de_Dios_Ng
Level 3

Adding to what John has said I would also included the 'Unsubscribed Reason' column to your file

Louise_Wright
Level 2

Thanks for your help everyone.

Josh Hill​ our Marketo instance will be integrated with Salesforce so the contact will be in our CRM and targeted via other channels (direct mail, social, phone etc) so I can't really leave them behind as you suggest, although I agree this would be easier!

As Marketo will pull in data from Salesforce I need to be able to identify those that have previously unsubscribed to email campaigns.

Best regards,

Louise