SOLVED

Setting up a new domain for Email campaigns

Go to solution
Lopa1408
Level 3

Setting up a new domain for Email campaigns

Hi,

Recently we received an email from Marketo team stating that the domain that was being used for the email marketing campaigns have been listed in Spamhaus DBL. Because of this we had some 600+ bounces related to that listing.

Now, we are trying to setup a new domain replacing the old one for all of our email campaigns.

In-order for our IT team to work on the setup what all do we need to provide from Marketo point of view?

If you can share any document having the steps that would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Setting up a new domain for Email campaigns

What do you mean specifically by "for email campaigns"?

Were you only planning to change your From and Reply-To? That's not going to work. If your LP domain and/or branding domain are subdomains of that same blacklisted domains, mail scanners will see those too, because they also appear in the body of any email.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

What do you mean specifically by "for email campaigns"?

Were you only planning to change your From and Reply-To? That's not going to work. If your LP domain and/or branding domain are subdomains of that same blacklisted domains, mail scanners will see those too, because they also appear in the body of any email.

Lopa1408
Level 3

Yes you are right. When I checked the Landing page domain name from admin point of view (settings) I see that its using the same domain.

Ideally, according to you what should be the best practise in this case?

Do we need to update the domain in landing page as well as email under admin? Or I am missing something here?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes you are right. When I checked the Landing page domain name from admin point of view (settings) I see that its using the same domain.

Ideally, according to you what should be the best practise in this case?

You must choose a new LP subdomain (pages.example.com) and email tracking (so called "branding") subdomain (em.example.com). 

Each subdomain will require a corresponding DNS alias record (CNAME RR) to be created:

• LP subdomain is an alias for the CNAME{account string}.mktoweb.com, Account String is under Admin » Landing Pages
  • email tracking subdomain is an alias for the CNAME{tracking link}, Tracking Link under Admin » Email

Note, because this is so frequently and frustratingly miscommunicated, neither the LP subdomain nor email tracking subdomain is "a CNAME". They doappear in a CNAME record but are not CNAMEs, they are aliases. The CNAME is the right-hand side: the *.mktoweb.com or mkto-*.com

You will also need to set up a DNS DKIM record (TXT RR) for the new From/Reply-To email domain, as Marketo provides in the Admin » Email » SPF/DKIM section.  (As you are on a shared instance, you do not need to add to the SPF record for the new domain.)

This is exactly the same setup you would use when setting up Marketo for the first time, there's no difference as you're changing every primary domain.