Send an automatic second email if the first one was not replied to

Anonymous
Not applicable

Send an automatic second email if the first one was not replied to

Forgive me if this is a really basic question, but I'm creating a program that sends out a series of emails. If the recipient replies either positively or negatively we want to pull them out of the program and put them into a different segment. Only if there is no reply at all do we want to send a second email. I can't find a trigger for "replied to email", and we don't want to make people hit a landing page with a tracking cookie. What's the best way to do this logic?

Thanks in advance.
Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Send an automatic second email if the first one was not replied to

How are you tracking "replied" ?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dylan,

Unfortunately there is no easy way for Marketo to register if the email is replied to.  One way with native Marketo functionality would be to have reps send you a list of replies manually, and instead trigger off of "Added to List" when you import the list of people who replied.

There are a couple of other ways this could be done, but will require some additional set up and manual work.  Check out these for details:
- https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PFTnAAO
- https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PzycAAC

Josh_Hill13

The next step, if you are marking them via a field is:
  1. Data Value Changes IS X to Y - we have to base this on some sort of data field or a clicks link.
  2. Send Email
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Josh - that's what I'm looking for, a way to track "replied".

@Laura - That does sound like what we want to do. Just having a reply is enough to take them out of the stream, be it positive or negative. We need to be able to do this without interaction from the sales team. Can that method be adapted for NetSuite or does it require hooks specific SF integration?
Josh_Hill13

you can base the reply on a form or click on a link. Replies to email won't work.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know next to nothing about NetSuite, unfortunately - perhaps they have similar functionality?  That's something you would have to look into with them (or maybe someone else on here knows more?).  Even if they do, it will take a bit or work to set up... and is this program worth the effort it will take to get it all set up?  A landing page or contact us form or link click like Josh suggested will be easier to implement even if it's not quite what you want.  Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestions, Laura. This is, in fact, the primary purpose we intended for Marketo, so it's definitely not negotiable. It would appear to be much easier in Marketo to do a landing page or form, but that would involve changing our way of doing business, so unfortunately not really an option. Hopefully someone with NetSuite experience reads this and has some insight.

Josh, that is definitely going to be a problem for us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We use an app called iHance for SFDC that updates fields on the lead/contact when there is any inbound email. 

I would check if there is a similar app for Netsuite ("inbound email tracking for netsuite" or something similar) -- I know next to nothing about their ecosystem unfortunately. 

This method is good if you just want to exclude anyone who has replied to prevent further automation, less useful if you want to track replies to a specific mailing. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion, Justin. That sounds promising. I'll see what I can dig up on that. Excluding replies is all we really need. Tracking individual emails is done by the reps.