SOLVED

Send an automated email to a specific opportunity contact role 24 hours after an opportunity is closed won

Go to solution
Ray_Miller
Level 2

Send an automated email to a specific opportunity contact role 24 hours after an opportunity is closed won

Hi there,

Hoping the community can help.

I'm trying to set up a smart campaign to automatically send an email to a closed won opportunity 24 hours after an opportunity is closed won. The business case is as follows:

• We have an administrator contact role on each opportunity that acts as the implementation partner. We would like to intro them to their new CSM using an automated process as the volume is high. The roles are (LRT Admin, CC Admin, Implementer, STV Admin, Decision Maker, CC LMS Admin, LRT LMS Admin) for the remaining discussion purposes I will refer to them as "Implementers".
  • The Opportunity is designated into two types of opportunities, self-service and white glove, these are determined by a salesforce formula field checkbox that is accurate before the opp is closed.

• Our business has a piece of business logic that in order to close an opportunity as Closed Won, our finance team has to approve it. To avoid delay the sales operations team checks the box "Sale Closed" checkbox at the time the customer signs the contract - that should be the trigger for the 24 hour wait step to email. At this point our Sales ops admin has checked that these Opportunity contact roles exist on the opportunity.

Below is what I have set up:

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 2.36.13 PM.png

Currently I'm only seeing about a 40% hit rate rate on members being added to the list and can't figure out why some members are not being added to the list.

Any thoughts on this? Sanford Whiteman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Send an automated email to a specific opportunity contact role 24 hours after an opportunity is closed won

Ray,

I believe what might be happening here is that at the time the contact's opportunity is updated to "Sales Closed: True", they do not qualify for all of the filters in "Was Added to Opportunity" so they do not trigger the flow. So how about running a batch campaign instead that checks every day for all of the filters in "Was Added to Opportunity" as well as "Sales Closed: True". This ensures all of them will move to the flow since both conditions need to be met in order to enter the wait step and get the email.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Devraj_Grewal

Re: Send an automated email to a specific opportunity contact role 24 hours after an opportunity is closed won

Ray,

I believe what might be happening here is that at the time the contact's opportunity is updated to "Sales Closed: True", they do not qualify for all of the filters in "Was Added to Opportunity" so they do not trigger the flow. So how about running a batch campaign instead that checks every day for all of the filters in "Was Added to Opportunity" as well as "Sales Closed: True". This ensures all of them will move to the flow since both conditions need to be met in order to enter the wait step and get the email.

Ray_Miller
Level 2

So Devraj Grewal​ your suggestion is that I do is add all of the parameters in my combined trigger program and make them a batch program like below:

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 8.50.20 AM.png

I'm new to Marketo so this entire conversation has been extremely helpful to me to understand where to use triggers and where to use batches.

Devraj_Grewal

That's correct. This ensures you do not run into the issue of the trigger firing when not all of the opportunity's parameters have been met and thus people will not qualify. Run this batch daily and this will then send the email. If you want to make sure the email is only sent at a certain time of the day, you can include a wait step with advanced wait steps to wait until a M-F at 9a or something similar.

Ray_Miller
Level 2

Hey Devraj Grewal​ I'm still not seeing this batch trigger appropriately.

When I look at my list in salesforce of opportunity contacts who should be on this list and compare it to those not on the list I'm not seeing any striking similarities.

I have the batch campaign set up to run everyday at 7PM. and it looks identical to the screenshot above.

Could the "Date of Activity" be creating an issue here with the filtering? Do I need that field?

Devraj_Grewal

You may not need that field since it doesn't matter when the contact was added to the opportunity, you just care if the opportunity closed in the past 24 hours. So I would actually remove the Date of Activity constraint.

Ray_Miller
Level 2

This worked perfectly Devraj Grewal​ -- thank you so much for the assist on this!

Ray

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Ray,

First question - Is this an on-demand bidirectional sync with your CRM? If your sync happens in batches you may have folks falling out of the process because the accounting team is overwriting the field quickly. I wasn't completely clear on whether or not this checkbox is separate from your "Closed Won" field. I've included this info just in case they're using the same field.

Also...

If this is SFDC you MUST ensure that your sales team is properly assigning people to roles on the opportunity. It sounds like this could be your issue (as it is in many organizations). Basically, if your sales team is adding all relevant players to the opportunity and assigning them a proper role you'll have people falling out of your process. This could be the case if your sales guys are check your checkbox and THEN adding people to oppty/role.

A good way to overcome the obstacle of your sales team following an incorrect procedure is to switch this from a trigger to a batch campaign. It sounds like this being a trigger is unnecessary since you're waiting 24 hours to send your email. If you have other things that need to happen immediately you can disregard this and keep it as a trigger.

If none of that works...

Check the particulars around your filter. It seems like there are a lot of moving parts which can get you in trouble if you're not absolutely meticulous.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It sounds like this being a trigger is unnecessary since you're waiting 24 hours to send your email.

But 24 hours from a trigger firing isn't the same as a scheduled batch running every 24 hours. You can't reproduce a 24-hour wait with daily batches: you'll always send before or after your goal (sometimes wildly so!). Of course this may be an acceptable change, but it's not the same concept.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input, Sanford.

While you're correct from a technical standpoint, I have to think from a practical business stand point a batch is going to work out just fine for him.

Most businesses want to have uniformity (easily achieved with a batch) when sending out such correspondence. i.e If my account rep marks a contract as closed at 5 pm, you're probably trying to send your client an email connecting them with their new CSM at a time other than 5pm the next day, but maybe that's just me.

Further, it's very easy to get "trigger happy" and bog your system down after awhile. Being judicious with your triggers can help avoid this problem from creeping up often.

At the end of the day the automation manager here has to evaluate based on their needs.