Re: Search for email content

Elizabeth_Dack
Level 2

Search for email content

Hello,

I am trying to locate any and all emails that include a coworker's name. I have noticed that if I type the name "Katie" into the search bar, no results appear. I assume this is because the search is only for words that are included within a program name or an email name (not words within the content of an email). Can anyone suggest a way that I can search for email content?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Elizabeth,

Correct, using the left hand navigation search will only search program/asset names. There is no way to search within the email content, but perhaps you can look at using tokens in the future for the coworker's name.

Kia_Petrelius-M
Level 1

Hi, is this still the case? because I need this feature too

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, still the case. Bear in mind that no search could ever be accurate because Velocity {{my.tokens}}, and {{lead.tokens}} for that matter, can have different output for every lead and every point in time.

Kia_Petrelius-M
Level 1

Okay thank you. So this means I have to search all the email individually?

Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

This would be a very helpful feature for Marketo to enable though! Maybe check to see if there is an existing idea and submit one if not? Sounds cool.

Jason_Redwood
Level 2

I agree, this seems like a feature that should be enabled for sure.  Being able to search inside a local asset makes complete sense.  Case and point, I was asked if we had sent out a notification to a portion of our network last year.  I could not recall and was unable to bring this up based on the content that was in text inside the email.  The title of the asset and the program was unrelated so it is did not show up in search.  

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But it's just not technically feasible. The final email content includes [a] updateable values (program tokens, lead tokens) that may not exist at the time of the search, and [b] script-generated content and runtime token values that may not ever have existed in static form. And to index every individual outbound email (as sent) would be an outrageous drain on resources -- even if only diffs were stored.