Re: RTP integration via GTM for WordPress

Nina_Gonzalez1
Level 3

RTP integration via GTM for WordPress

I just implemented RTP javascript via GTM. We have several domains and of course our Marketo landing pages. RTP and GTM is loading and not breaking many of our webpages and LP. But on our main site, which is WordPress, the tag is preventing the site from loaidng. The top menu loads but not the rest of the page.

Anyone implement RTP via GTM for WP? I can't think of a reason that would not work.

Message was edited by: Nina Gonzalez

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Please provide a URL that's guaranteed to trigger a campaign (and preferably also a URL for that same test campaign on a Marketo LP).

Nina_Gonzalez1
Level 3

My original description was incomplete. I implemented RTP tags/javascript on all of our webpages and it did not break most of the pages. Adding the tag via GTM to our main website, which is a wordpress site, prevents the site from loading. Thanks for your help.

SanfordWhiteman

When you supply a URL, I will look at it. Having an actual site is a prerequisite for troubleshooting.

Nina_Gonzalez1
Level 3

Got it, that makes sense. Except that we removed the code, so nothing to see, because the code was preventing the site from loading.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

we have RTP and use Wordpress -- when we signed (2 years ago, maybe?) I want to say that there was some alert in the installation process that recommended not using GTM to deploy the code. I even think we tested it and ultimately went to hard code it instead of GTM...

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, using GTM can introduce race conditions unless you also use tag sequencing, and tracking this kind of thing down can take a very long time (and doesn't occur if you simply load scripts synchronously, in order).

Nina_Gonzalez1
Level 3

OK, we will go for direct WP implementation.

Yanir_Calisar2
Level 3

The reason why there is a note that it's not recommended to use GTM for implementing RTP is because you cannot control the timing of the script injection and RTP should load before anything else on the page (to avoid delays in presenting in-zone CTA's).

Since some of the RTP functionalities requires it loads jQuery by default as a part of the standard script.

In a case where jQuery is already installed on the page there might be some version collision that would cause some things to break of throw JS errors.

Installing it directly to the code might solve the problem - make sure it's installed after the jQuery code.

If the issue persists, ask the support team to disable jQuery in the RTP configurations.

Nina_Gonzalez1
Level 3

Thanks, this is helpful.