Re: Retroactively scoring

KaitlynNelson1
Level 3

Retroactively scoring

Hi all, 

Hoping to get some help with some retroactive scoring. I got this request recently: 

I was doing some research to look at engagements of people created within the last 2 month from Content Syndication. When looking at some of the values, there were some red flags that should be investigated.

Issues to look into:

- Behavior score of 10 is missing for many of these. Many of these have nothing in the field and they should automatically be given to all CS people as they filled out a form (logic added in December).

- All of our CS people will have industry and company data. Many of these people should have demographic points.

- Some CS people do not have Consent Country, and all of these lists will have a country field provided when inputted.

The most pressing issue at the moment is: Some people might have had more than 1 engagement of 10 points since they entered, so I can't do a batch fix for this since everyone would have a different score. There are so many people with different interactions that I'm not sure how to go about this or even how to pull a report of it so I can then put groups into batches depending on how many points they should get.  If I could figure out how to pull a report that easily told me how many engagements they should have been scored I think I could come up with a fairly simple solution. For example, if I found 45 people who had 3 engagements that never received 10 points for, I could then create a batch fix campaign that gave them all 30points.

I hope I am making sense! I know this is a lot of info and a lot of problems to hit. I really appreciate any help!! 

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Along with the form fills, do you also do list import for bringing in the content syndication people? You may have campaign to score people when they fill out the form, but not when they are imported in Marketo through the LI, if so, that'll explain why some CS leads have not been scored +10 for the interaction and to an extent that why not all CS leads have the country, industry data (people may have been imported w/o those fields in the first place). If you're importing CS leads through list imports, you can create a campaign/update the existing filled out CS form scoring campaign such that the CS imported leads/other CS interactions  also get scored.

As this data is 60 days old, you can look in the activity log of few leads to see if their consent country was wiped off or not?

If you want to find people who haven't been scored for some reason when they entered via form fills by the trigger SC you have, you can create a SL with filled out form trigger with form name, date of activity (in past 60 days), and minimum number of times constraints AND Not data value was changed filter with Behavior score field, date of activity in past 60 days, reason contains <smart campaign name> that's responsible for scoring CS people when they fill out the form, and minimum number of time constraint set equal to the value you would have set in the filled out form filter. 

Darshil_Shah1_0-1651809275478.png

This SL will help you find people who weren't scored by the filled out form trigger campaign same # of times they filled out the CS form. You can use this SL as a filter for exporting activities to find out exact # of times people filled out the form and # of times they were scored for same. Based on that you can retroactively score these leads (before running a batch fix/updating scores I would suggest you cross check activity logs of some leads before). You can also deep dive in to these leads' activity logs to find the filled out CS form activities that for some reason didn't make them qualify and pass through the trigger SC you've set, and make any updates to the SC setup if required to ensure that people pass through the trigger SC to get scored each time they filled out the CS form (you should also check if the campaign is set to allow people to flow through it every time in the schedule tab or not). 

You can do something similar for scoring CS leads that came through other interactions as well, and for interactions for which you know you haven't scored people earlier e.g., for a list import (people would not have been scored if you would not have manually scored people earlier or have campaigns to score people based on respective interactions when they occur) - you can directly run a batch campaign / run a flow step action for updating their behavior scores. 

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Darshil_Shah1 ,

I'd take a slightly different approach (but similar).

Scoring

This assumes that the engagements are still in activity history.  If not, then we are into a whole different conversation.

Let's take form fills as an example (and @KaitlynNelson1 , you'd need to replicate this for each engagement type you want to score for). 

Create a static list called something like Form - Already Scored

Then create smart campaign along these lines:

Jo_Pitts1_1-1651812152748.png

Jo_Pitts1_2-1651812163839.png

Run it.  Then reduce the min. number of times constraint to 9, and the score to +90.

Run it again.  Rinse and repeat until they are all done.

Then do the same thing for each other engagement type.

It's a bit manual and ugly, but you'll get there with it quite quickly.

Consent Country

Why this is missing is a separate issue from scoring.  Why has it been deleted?  That's an interesting question.  Maybe it wasn't mapped during the import?

Unscored Demographic Data

That should be easy.  Create smart campaigns that looks for each demographic data point you want to score on not being empty, and then increment the demographic score accordingly.  To @Darshil_Shah1's point, this only works if the changes happened recently enough to still be in activity history.

Going forward, you can do something like this for the demographic stuff (run this daily).  Essentially this is the same filter you'd use for the catchup, but without the date of activity constraint.  

Jo_Pitts1_3-1651812621404.png

Cheers

Jo

Darshil_Shah1

Unscored Demographic Data

That should be easy.  Create smart campaigns that looks for each demographic data point you want to score on not being empty, and then increment the demographic score accordingly.  To @Darshil_Shah1's point, this only works if the changes happened recently enough to still be in activity history.

Thanks, Jo! I assumed change data value activities would still be in the activity logs and wouldn’t have been purged as, @KaitlynNelson1 said she’s been looking at past 60 day’s data. But to @Jo_Pitts1’s point you wouldn’t be able to filter people based on change data value activities that are older than 90 days. 🙂

I'd also consider auditing the existing demographic setup to ensure that it's set properly to score people when their respective demographic attribute gets populated - just to ensure that people are not falling through cracks there - i.e., not getting apt. demographic score even when they have correct value in the demographic field populated.

KaitlynNelson1
Level 3

Sorry for the late response. First thing is the content syndication is always list uploads. My colleague was saying that they filled out a form on some other site *content syndication* and came through to us to upload so they all should have atleast gotten 10 points. Does that help?

Jo_Pitts1

@KaitlynNelson1 ,

it's a little hard to see what is the comment from your colleague and what your questions are.

However, taking your subject at face value; YES you can score retroactively.  In fact, MOST scoring is done retroactively rather than on triggers.  

To clarify (for my own benefit), I think you have a situation where for every engagement of a certain type, you want to give a lead 10 points.  They have many of these engagements, so could have multiples of 10 for their score. 

Is that a correct understanding?

Cheers

Jo

KaitlynNelson1
Level 3

Hi there, 

So sorry for the delay on my response. What the most important issue I need to fix right now is the fact that there are A LOT of people who have come in from content syndication through list imports and did not , for some reason, qualify for our scoring campaigns (still looking into why). Regardless, they need to have scores of at least 10 points since they came through content syndication. It's possible they might need more than 10 points depending on their level of engagement, so I was hoping to come up with an easy way to solve this?

Does that help at all?

Darshil_Shah1

Well, we'd need to look at the campaign set up to find why people were not scored. You may wanna check the campaign trigger and/or filters, flow, and qualification rules that are configured in the campaign, and ensure that they align with the activities and person attributes for the CS leads that get uploaded via the list import and other CS engagements. It's noteworthy to mention that the fact that CDV activity is not logged when a person is created, so may wanna include a person is created trigger in the campaign.

One way would to fix this could be by finding out all the leads that were added to the CS lists but weren't scored +10 points for each of the respective CS engagement (i.e., for each time they were imported in any of the CS list). You can then count the # of interactions and number of lists each lead belongs to and then update the score accordingly. All of these analyses may not be directly possible in Marketo and hence you may have to export the lists in CSV and do some analyses in the excel too. Be sure to only score the engagements for which the people were not scored, i.e., if the scoring campaign did ran for some engagements, be sure to not re-score the respective people for those CS engagements. You can also use the activity APIs for analyzing this. There's a major caveat here if you're looking at the person activities, that the Marketo retains Add to List and CDV activities only for period of 90 days from the date of activity. If you update the program status for CS leads, those activity remain in Marketo for a period of 25 months, but still you won't know for sure if their behavior score was updated or not for engagements that happened in past before 90 days. I would recommend fixing the scoring campaign ASAP, so you don't have manually manage updating the scores in future. 

Jo_Pitts1

I think my solution gives you the 'easy' way to fix this?

Run a smart campaign to give them their base 10 points, and then run my decreasing min number of times approach to give them additional points based on their engagement.

If you want to jump on a call, you can DM me, and I'll make time to talk you through my thinking.  It's all a little abstract currently.

Cheers

Jo

Darshil_Shah1

If I'm not wrong, the form is probably not in Marketo (per OP's latest comment), and Marketo has just got Add to list activities (and there could be 'n' number of CS lists that people were imported/added into).