Re: Require email in form to be in standard email format

Anonymous
Not applicable

Require email in form to be in standard email format

Hello,

Recently we've been getting a lot of spam and people/bots filling out the form not using an email address. Our current form allows them to do this (see screenshot). Is there a way to at least require email format?  Seems like by default it shouldn't allow someone to put in something that isn't an email address, but I guess that is not the case.

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

It sounds like your email field is set to a Text Field rather than a Email Field. Are you using Forms 1.0 or 2.0?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like forms 2.0 and it does look like it’s an email field (see screenshot).

--

Jennifer Strachan

Director of Marketing

Liquid Litigation Management

(c) 979-417-3738

Jstrachan@llminc.com

http://www.llminc.com

Logical Solution. Legendary Service.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

What is the link to your forms? For the lead in your first screenshot, in the lead activity section, does the lead source indicate a form or list upload?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Jennifer, the default client-side email validation is very primitive and will allow through emails that are indeed valid, but not publicly emailable (for example, myname@localhost is a valid email address, but from the public Internet perspective appears invalid).

To get deeper validation without ponying up for actual real-time mail testing, you can look up to see if the person is using a currently extant registered domain + TLD, as in the example here: CodePen - nation.marketo.com/thread/28956

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

In my database the issue you highlighted usually comes from internal list uploads rather than robots. Marketo has no validation checks on static list uploads so errors like the above can easily happen due to human error when adding large csv's and bad data could be in the middle somewhere. Also email is the primary key so when Marketo can't match the email, they will upload anyway as in the background everything has an ID. Sanfords suggestion excellent too of course.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Yeah, can you give an example of the junk leads that are getting created?

As Sanford said, our forms validation is the same as the one specified in the HTML 5 specification. So, if they are entering something valid we will allow it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. I have used some JS in the past to validate on not allowing things like emails by Gmail, but I’ve never had to do it on just letting a valid email in general. You can see in this screenshot the person's email came in as Jon Andersen, which isn't even close to an email.

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 9.46.32 AM.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, I think here you have 3 explanations:

1. As Frank said, this came in via malformed list import, not the form.
  2. The form was submitted without JS validation (i.e. JS was simply disabled in the browser, or a malicious person posted the data directly to the forms endpoint).
  3. The email was updated/broken by an internal person using the UI.

This sure doesn't look like a form validation issue.