SOLVED

Require Business Email Address on Forms

Go to solution
Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Require Business Email Address on Forms

Hello,

I found the script below in this discussion: How do I require a BUSINESS email

I pasted the script in my Marketo landing page template and tested the form with a Yahoo email address and it still is allowing me to submit the form. Where exactly should this script be placed to reject non-business email addresses for particular forms? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<script>
(function (){
  // Please include the email domains you would like to block in this list
  var invalidDomains = ["@yahoo.","@hotmail.","@live.","@aol.","@msn.","@outlook."];
  MktoForms2.whenReady(function (form){
   form.onValidate(function(){
   var email = form.vals().Email;
   if(email){
   if(!isEmailGood(email)) {
   form.submitable(false);
   var emailElem = form.getFormElem().find("#Email");
   form.showErrorMessage("Must be Business email.", emailElem);
  }else{
   form.submitable(true);
  }
  }
  });
  });
  function isEmailGood(email) {
   for(var i=0; i < invalidDomains.length; i++) {
   var domain = invalidDomains[i];
   if (email.indexOf(domain) != -1) {
   return false;
  }
  }
   return true;
  }
})();
</script>

Thanks!

Trevor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Require Business Email Address on Forms

Lawdy, how I hate that code.

It should have barebones functionality, though.  Are you being sure to include it after the <script> that loads forms2.min.js? On a Marketo LP, you'll want to put this just inside the closing </body> tag (because Mkto may inject the forms2.min.js at any point in the body content).

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
SanfordWhiteman

Lawdy, how I hate that code.

It should have barebones functionality, though.  Are you being sure to include it after the <script> that loads forms2.min.js? On a Marketo LP, you'll want to put this just inside the closing </body> tag (because Mkto may inject the forms2.min.js at any point in the body content).

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Thanks, Sanford. I just needed to move it down the page and it is now working.

Do you hate the code because it prevents potentially good leads from filling out forms if they prefer to use a non-business email address? Are there other downsides?

Just curious as I am not a huge fan of doing this although there are some scenarios where it will be useful.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

It's not about the concept (it has its uses) but the implementation.

• There are 1000s of free domains, but the code only (mis)identifies a few (the seminal list is the Freemail list).
  • The pattern matching is incorrect. If my email address is sandy@live.event24.com, that isn't a Microsoft domain; if my company sets up a domain for outlook users @outlook.college.edu, that isn't an Outlook 365 domain. The freemail providers don't actually own all the instances of their domain at all levels of the domain tree and under all TLDs!
  • The function name isEmailGood is frustrating, because it isn't validating the email as a whole.
Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Sanford,

I see what you mean. So would it make more sense to include the larger list of free email domains and to change the script to only block "@live.com" instead of "@live."

Example:  var invalidDomains = ["@yahoo.com","@hotmail.com","@live.com","@aol.com","@msn.com","@outlook.com"];

This should solve for the sandy@live.event24.com and @outlook.college.edu scenarios.

Thanks for your help!

SanfordWhiteman

No, that'll still bug out should someone have a username like jill@outlook.comcorp.edu. The domains need to be firmly anchored to the right-hand-side of the email address.

Also, did I mention the original code is case-sensitive, so joe@YAHOO.COM is considered valid?  That's an even bigger problem than the rest, really.

This is a much tighter and more accurate function:

function inDomainList(email,domains){
return domains
.map(function(domain){
return new RegExp('@' + domain.replace('.','\\.') + '$','i');
})
.some(function(reDomain){
return reDomain.test(email);
});
}
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

then pass the domain list to the function (this is better practice than requiring the domain list to be up-scope, not that I don't do that myself sometimes):

var freemailDomains = ["yahoo.com","hotmail.com","live.com","aol.com","msn.com","outlook.com"];
if ( inDomainList(email,freemailDomains) ) {
/* it's in the list of domains you don't like */
}
Denise_Greenbe7
Level 3

Hey Sanford Whiteman‌ - I have a client that wants to require business email addresses for one specific form but the form is on their website - not on a Marketo LP. Would the code above work in that context, too? If so, where does it belong?

SanfordWhiteman

Sure, it'll work fine with an embedded form as well. Make sure it's placed after the embed code -- custom Marketo forms behaviors require the global MktoForms2 object, and that object won't exist unless forms2.min.js has finished loading.

Denise_Greenbe7
Level 3

Hey Sandy,

Can I copy and paste that code as is? Or when you say "then pass the domain list to the function...", is there more required than simply pasting the code that follows that sentence?

Thank you!

Denise

SanfordWhiteman

To combine the original logic with the fixed validator function:

<script>
function inDomainList(email,domains){
return domains
.map(function(domain){
return new RegExp('@' + domain.replace('.','\\.') + '$','i');
})
.some(function(reDomain){
return reDomain.test(email);
});
}

MktoForms2.whenReady(function(form){

var freemailDomains = ["yahoo.com","hotmail.com","live.com","aol.com","msn.com","outlook.com","gmail.com"],
errorFreemail = "Must be Business email.";

/* no need to touch below this line */
var formEl = form.getFormElem()[0],
emailEl = formEl.querySelector("input[name='Email']"),
emailJq = MktoForms2.$(emailEl);

form.onValidate(function(native){
if (!native) return;

var currentValues = form.getValues(),
currentEmail = currentValues.Email;

if ( inDomainList(currentEmail, freemailDomains) ) {

form.submittable(false);
form.showErrorMessage(errorFreemail, emailJq);
} else {

form.submittable(true);
}
});
});
</script>‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍