SOLVED

Re: Rented email list

Go to solution
Ric_Kolibar
Level 2

Rented email list

We have rented a email list. some on the list are already in our Marketo database. I'm hoping that others fill out th form and agree to be on our list.

What is the best way to import this list and handle the list.

Ric

ric kolibar
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michaela_Iery3
Marketo Employee

Hi:

Rented or purchased data is not best practice and in some cases, can be a violation of Marketo policy, depending on how it is being done. Here is a link to Marketo's policy and some guidance on how to properly use list purchases/rentals: Best Practices for Purchased Data

I hope you find this useful. In addition, I found Gregoire's response on this, on how to carefully manage this data within your database when you are working with it in Marketo per best practice, to to be helpful as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Michaela_Iery3
Marketo Employee

Hi:

Rented or purchased data is not best practice and in some cases, can be a violation of Marketo policy, depending on how it is being done. Here is a link to Marketo's policy and some guidance on how to properly use list purchases/rentals: Best Practices for Purchased Data

I hope you find this useful. In addition, I found Gregoire's response on this, on how to carefully manage this data within your database when you are working with it in Marketo per best practice, to to be helpful as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would send an eblast to the list through a tool like survey monkey and take the opted ins and import them into Marketo for Nurturing

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

richard Kolibar

You should not be directly importing this list in Marketo. As Jamie suggested, you should run an email campaign with an external tool like MailChimp. The landing page in the email can be a MKTO asset which can be used to opt-in leads inside Marketo.

If you want, you can export valid email records after the email blast, and import them in Marketo.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The landing page in the email can be a MKTO asset which can be used to opt-in leads inside Marketo.

Shouldn't be on your default Marketo LP domain. If you're sending to honeypot addresses, let alone just plain angry humans, you do not want your entire domain on the URIBL!

And really you shouldn't use Marketo-owned IPs in these emails at all, regardless of domains.

I don't believe in 3rd party lists at all and wouldn't risk any intersection with Marketo's infrastructure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If you are using a separate CRM like salesforce,etc. Then you can test/try with the 3rd party list, but remember to sync only successful leads with your CRM. This way you can atleast  know about the reliability as well as response of those leads to your campaigns for future.

Apart from that the success of your emails depend upon the content of your emails.

Thanks