SOLVED

Re: Removing Unsubscribed Records that are also Duplicates

Go to solution
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Removing Unsubscribed Records that are also Duplicates

We use purposeful duplicates in our instance, and we dedupe off email address and business unit. We'd like to remove a number of unsubscribed records that also have not had any activity in a long while. Sometimes, there are records that unsubscribe, but since they have a duplicate record, only one of them gets marked as true for the unsubscribed field. When it comes to emailing, though, all of the records are prevented from being emailed on account of the subscription rules linking to the email address, not to the individual record.

My question is: If I delete records that are marked true in the unsubscribe field, will the duplicates that had not been marked true (but were by extension also unsubscribed), now be qualified to receive emails, since the "unsubscribed" record is now gone? (This would be a problem.) Or, will a deletion campaign somehow rope in those other duplicates and delete them, too, in spite of the fact that the individual record may not have their unsubscribe field marked as true. My goal is, if any of the records have unsubscribed, then I want to delete that record, as well as all of its corresponding duplicates, regardless of whether or not they have that field marked as true.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Jeff,

If a record's unsubscribe field is false (they're subscribed) then they are eligible to receive emails, and it's possible to have duplicates where these fields don't match.  Once an email address has been unsubscribed the "master" record for that email address on the backend will ensure that current leads and any future leads that are created will be unsubscribed, but it's possible for those lead records to be individually re-subscribed.  The article below explains it in more detail.

Durable Unsubscribe

John

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Jeff,

The Durable Unsubscribe feature in Marketo means that when a lead unsubscribes(has the standard Unsubscribe field checked), if there are any other records with the same email address, those records will be unsubscribed as well.  Even if the original gets deleted the duplicates will still be unsubscribed until one of them re-subscribes.

As for deleting one and getting the duplicates too, that's not possible.  You could use the Possible Duplicate filter to help gather in as many of the dupes as possible, but it's not possible right now in Marketo to perform an action on one record and have that affect any other records.

John

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Hi John,

Great info! You said, "Even if the original gets deleted the duplicates will still be unsubscribed until one of them re-subscribes." From my experience, there can be records where one duplicate has the traditional unsubscribed box marked true, while the other lead is false. If I delete the first lead marked true, then if I'm understanding correctly, the second lead will still be unsubscribed (through the durable unsubscribe), even though it's field is NOT marked true? Wouldn't this potentially leave you with no way to really discern by the field, which are unsubscribed and which aren't? You'd wind up with a bunch of records that appear to be subscribed to your emails (no checkmark in the unsubscribed box), but they really are not.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Jeff,

If a record's unsubscribe field is false (they're subscribed) then they are eligible to receive emails, and it's possible to have duplicates where these fields don't match.  Once an email address has been unsubscribed the "master" record for that email address on the backend will ensure that current leads and any future leads that are created will be unsubscribed, but it's possible for those lead records to be individually re-subscribed.  The article below explains it in more detail.

Durable Unsubscribe

John