Re: Relationship between a Marketo landing page template and a landing page using that template

Makiko_Hultz1
Level 2

Relationship between a Marketo landing page template and a landing page using that template

Hello! In the past, when I make a change in a Marketo landing page template, that change was automatically transferred to the landing pagings using that template. I noticed this function stopped recently (the changes in the template are not transferring to landing pages using that template) and I'd like to know how I can make them sync like used to. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Relationship between a Marketo landing page template and a landing page using that template

Hello! In the past, when I make a change in a Marketo landing page template, that change was automatically transferred to the landing pagings using that template.

Not without reapproving the derived LP, though.

What changes are you making? Certain changes to $mktoVariables may be in conflict with LP-level settings, but other than that it should work as you expect.

Makiko_Hultz1
Level 2

Sanford Whiteman , thank you for your feedback! We removed one of the social media icons from the footer of the landing page template. There are 180 landing pages associated with this template and after I made the change to the footer, I did the "select all approve" in the Design Studio landing page section. Then I realized the change is not syncing to each landing page. I can still see the social media icon that I removed from the template.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Approve one individually... Same outcome?

Makiko_Hultz1
Level 2

I haven't tried that yet. But that would be a pain to go through 180 pages one by one... I will test it and see if the one-by-one approach will work. If it does, I have no choice Thank you for your feedback!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Makiko,

Are you sure that the icon is not in fact controlled by another mechanism such as a snippet ?

-Greg

Makiko_Hultz1
Level 2

Grégoire Michel , no it's not part of a snippet. I changed the copyright information on the footer from 2017 to 2018 on December 31, 2017 and that was transferred from template to associated landing pages without any problem. The social media icon that I want to remove is located in the footer as well but the change is not transferring. The only thing I can think of is the glitch in Marketo. I tried the individual approving process that recommended by Sandord but that didn't work either. I'm at Marketo Summit so I'll ask the question to the support team Thank you!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

You are welcome

Danny_Tran5
Level 3

Hi Makiko Hultz​ - Did you ever find a solution to your issue? I'm experiencing something similar and was hoping you could shed some light on the matter. Thanks.

Dave_Roberts
Level 10

Hey Makiko-

If the content that you are changing (the copyright) is inside an editable area on the template changes made to the template will not be reflected on approved Landing Pages. Im pretty sure you can update the template and it'll push to the LPs as long as you haven't approved them (the LPs) yet. Once approved, any changes that occur within an editable area at the template-level are not transferred to replace content inside an editable area on the LPs (which is already approved).

If the content you are editing is not inside an editable area, this might be a glitch - any chance you could post a link to one of your LPs so I can have a look at the code there?

If your content IS inside an editable area and that's the source of the issue here, there's still a way out.

1) From the template editor, you'll want to remove the editable area syntax from the footer (class="mktoText", etc). I can help to identify these if you can provide a link to one of the pages.

2) Approve your template. This will kick all your LPs into draft mode and once re-approved, they'll contain a footer section which is no longer editable.

3) Update your footer copyright on the template and save.

4) Reapprove your LPs to view the update.

I'd be sure to test something like this out to make sure you don't lose or duplicate anything in the process, but I've had success with this type of solution in the past.