SOLVED

Re: Randomly Sending to a Smaller Subset of a Bigger List

Go to solution
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Randomly Sending to a Smaller Subset of a Bigger List

Hi All,

At a previous company we had a large list of Leads and we wanted to randomly send out communications to a certain amount per day (ie we had a list of 10,000 and wanted to send to 100 of them per day). Now, my current company wants to duplicate the program and I was wondering if my old flow is the best way to accomplish this (it's been a while since I last used Marketo, so not sure if there have been any breakthroughs). My main concern is having to manually change the random sample percentage every couple of days. We are going to set up this campaign for every SDR, so scalability is an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Static List (titled, "Segementation List")

Smart Campaign 1

• Smart List
    • Filter: Member of List - Lead in "Segementation List"
  • Flow
    • Send Email
      • Choice 1: Random Sample is X % - Email is Email 1
        • X changes depending how many Leads are left in the segementation list. I created a decay formula in Excel and manually change it every couple of days so (approx) the same amount of Leads are sent emails per day.
      • Default Choice: Do Nothing
  • Schedule
    • Each Lead can run through the flow every time
    • Repeats every weekday at 6 am

Smart Campaign 2

• Smart List
    • Filter: Was Sent Email - Email is "Email 1"
  • Flow
    • Remove from List
      • List Name: Segementation List
    • Wait
      • Until: 7 Days, must end on Mon-Fri at 6 am
    • Send Email
      • Email is Email 2
  • Schedule
    • Each Lead can run through the flow once
    • Repeats every weekday at 7 am
Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Conor,

This method may repeat emails to the same person, otherwise it is fine. I know that it is somewhat unlikely to repeat, but it could happen.

There haven't been any new Random Sample things, so this is the correct way.

I'm curious why you don't break up the 10k into smaller lists first with the randomizer? Maybe that's not the point of the program.

As for scalability, it depends a bit. I think using tokens for Lead Owner, Snippets, or Dynamic Snippets would be effective here.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13

Hi Conor,

This method may repeat emails to the same person, otherwise it is fine. I know that it is somewhat unlikely to repeat, but it could happen.

There haven't been any new Random Sample things, so this is the correct way.

I'm curious why you don't break up the 10k into smaller lists first with the randomizer? Maybe that's not the point of the program.

As for scalability, it depends a bit. I think using tokens for Lead Owner, Snippets, or Dynamic Snippets would be effective here.

Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Thanks for the reply, Josh. Can you explain how my method could result in duplicate email sends? I thought removing them from the segmentation list in the second smart campaign would take care of that.

As for not breaking it up into smaller lists first, we will be adding leads to the larger list on a regular basis. I was hoping to just add leads to the larger segmentation list and automate everything else.

Josh_Hill13

Hi Conor,

You are right, I did not realize you meant you were running both simultaneously..