Re: Querystring Constraint

Anonymous
Not applicable

Querystring Constraint

Can someone explain why Marketo cannot write data to lead records sometimes on landing pages without forms using the Clicks Link on Webpage or Visits Web Page triggers with the Querystring constraint? I understand the Querystring parameter used with the Clicks Link on Webpage trigger refers to the link that's clicked, not to the page the lead is visiting that contains the link and the Fills out Form trigger functions differently. Any further detail on this would be great.

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Not sure I understand what you want to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Josh for your reply. I am just looking for an explanation (if there is one) as to why Marketo cannot write data to lead records sometimes on landing pages without forms using the Clicks Link on Webpage or Visits Web Page triggers with the Querystring constraint.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You basically just restated your initial confusing post

From what I understand, you want to use the Clicks Link on Webpage or Visits Web Page trigger in a smart campaign smart list step to kick off a trigger flow (Change Data Type, Change Lead Score, etc.).

Are leads not qualifying for the campaign? Do you get "the red squiggly" when trying to add the trigger? What is the desired behavior?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We want to use the Clicks Link on Webpage with the Web Page and Querystring constraints (Querystring contains sfdcid= 70131000001iVuf) in a smart campaign smart list step to kick off a trigger flow (Change Data Value followed by Add to SFDC Campaign, with a wait step in between).

We do not get "the red squiggly" however leads are not qualifying for the campaign. Marketo support informed us in a related case that the querystring parameter we're using refers to the link that's clicked, not to the landing page leads are visiting - so this would generally not work.

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

Clicks Link on Webpage is a trigger for links on webpages, not emails.

You need to make sure that the link itself has the querystring, not the page URL itself. 

Visits URL: www.example.com?querystring=querystring - this is the page that you visit (this will not get record as 'Clicks Link on Webpage'.  This is a 'Visits Webpage' filter)

Clicks Link: www.example.com?querystring2=querystring2 - this is the link on the page that you visit (this will get recorded as 'Clicks link on Webpage' with the query string 'querystring2=querystring2')

Any time you are stuck like this, I would recommend that you work backwards so that you are not guessing the expected result.

Example:

1. Go the webpage

2. Click on the link

3. Go to the lead record in Marketo and look at the activity log details (double click on the activity log item for fuller details)

4. See what Marketo logs

5. Use the details for your filter

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Any time you are stuck like this, I would recommend that you work backwards so that you are not guessing the expected result.

It's also a good idea to look at the activity log.  All triggers/filters are based off of this activity (if it's not there, you can't use it) and will give you additional insight as to the appropriate triggers/filters to use for your smart campaign.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Seconded. Also note that extensions like Ghostery sometimes prevent activities from getting added to the Activity Log by blocking javascripts. Turn those off before troubleshooting the issue.