SOLVED

Re: [Q&A Coffee Break] 07/25/23, 8am PST: Deliverability & Bots, Featuring Marketo Engage Champions!

Go to solution
AjayS
Level 4 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: [Q&A Coffee Break] 07/25/23, 8am PST: Deliverability & Bots, Featuring Marketo Engage Champions!

Hi, @andrewfarm 

One possible way to strengthen the integrated reCAPTCHA v3 within Marketo forms is to use an email verification tool such as QuickEmailVerification. This software can help you verify the validity and deliverability of the email addresses that your leads provide on your forms post submission. It can also help you detect and remove bots, spam traps, disposable emails, role accounts, and other invalid or risky emails from your list.

andrewfarm
Level 2

I will look into that option. Thank you!

traba5058
Level 2

Is there any documentation on how to integrate QuickEmailVerification with Marketo?

AjayS

S_Stumpf
Level 1

Hi @Beth_Massura and @Ajay_Sarpal2

This is not necessarily related to "bot" per se, but depending on the recipient email system, I've noticed that many email link click activities are being registered in activity logs 2x, despite this link is only clicked once. My suspicion behind this double registration of email link click activities are link verification and security checks. Like "MS Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection" feature. 
First it gets registered while this threat protection feature does it's thing and redirects + then the second time when the human does the click and hits the link destination. 
Is there a way to only register one email link click activity? From what I could see in activity details, both click activities are identical, with an almost identical timestamp. Only IP addresses might be the only difference. I haven't seen this behavior when mails have hit the inbox, only directly after a link click.  This does indeed throw off email performance and link reports - as @David_Lyons pointed out.

Thanks. 
Best regards, 

Sebastian Stumpf

kdavid
Level 2

@Beth_Massura @Ajay_Sarpal2:

We are using Kickbox integration to confirm that our emails are deliverable and marked as "valid" before they send.  I noticed that a large number of our lead emails (between 15-30%) are being tagged as invalid. These lead emails are the individuals who completed an initial form fill, so assuming that they are engaged visitors.  This seems too high? Any recommendations or experience with Kickbox?  I also found out later that our CRM (Salesforce) already uses an email verification process as well (not familiar with which one they use).  So, is this redundant process for Marketo to do the same? BTW, in our stack...the leads are generated in SF first and then they get synced to Marketo.

Thx in advance for your help.

--Kate

AjayS

Hi, @kdavid 

The email invalid rate may depend on the quality and source of the email addresses that you collect on your forms. If you have a large number of invalid emails, it may indicate that your forms are not well protected or optimized for lead quality.

Some recommendations or tips to reduce the invalid rate and improve the accuracy of Kickbox are:

• Create a smart list and check when the leads filled out the form and marked as invalid by Kickbox. You may find some patterns or trends that can help you identify the source or cause of the invalid emails. For example, you may see that most of the invalid emails come from a certain domain, location, device, etc. You can use this information to adjust your form settings or filters accordingly.

• Implement reCAPTCHA v3 on your forms to weed out bots and spam. reCAPTCHA v3 is a score-based captcha service that helps protect your forms from bots and spam without challenging your leads with images, words, or mathematical equations. It assigns a score to each lead based on their behavior and interaction with your form. You can use this score to filter out suspicious leads or trigger different actions based on their level of trust. You can enable reCAPTCHA v3 on your forms in the Admin > Forms > reCAPTCHA Settings section in Marketo.

• Have the email verification tool in Marketo as form fills data first gets into Marketo thereafter syncs to Salesforce. This way, you can verify the email addresses before they get synced to Salesforce and avoid sending invalid or risky emails to your CRM. 

Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

UPDATE: Register for the Learn from Your Peers Webinar on Deliverability happening September 7, 2023!

Hi everyone!

The Q&A coffee break went by so fast! Thank you so much for your questions. While we didn't get to all of them during the hour, we will do our best to follow up. Hope to see you on the Community in the future!

Cheers,

Ajay @Ajay_Sarpal2 and Beth @Beth_Massura