SOLVED

Pulling Reporting - miscalculation on % columns?

Go to solution
Jennifer_Bisho1
Level 4

Pulling Reporting - miscalculation on % columns?

I'm trying to pull an overall Email Performance Report for an entire folder of email programs (roughly 50 emails).  The report calculates the totals at the bottom of the spreadsheet, however when I try to do the calculations myself using formulas, the numbers do not match up.

Does anyone know how Marketo calculates the total of the % columns?  I thought maybe the total represented the % average or median in that column, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  This makes me nervous about trusting Marketo reporting.  I need to do this for 6 different folders and then pull an average total per column for a summary report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Pulling Reporting - miscalculation on % columns?

You need the actual # Delivered & Opened.

From there you can calculate based on the total sum & then your percentage.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13

What excel formula are you using and what is the difference? Can you show us?

Jennifer_Bisho1
Level 4

Sure, here is a screenshot of the Email Performance report I pulled (just kept the % Delivered and % Opened columns for this).  I calculated the average by using the =AVERAGE(B2:B10) formula, and the median using the =MEDIAN(B2:B10) formula for the % Delivered column.  As you can see, neither the average or median % I got using the formulas matches Marketo's total number.  So I was wondering how they calculate the totals in those columns?

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 12.21.27 PM.png

Josh_Hill13

Ah yes, this is a prob I had. Please use the RAW numbers to recalculate in Excel. This % avg will not give you accurate data because it is effectively unweighted.

Jennifer_Bisho1
Level 4

How would I get the RAW numbers in Excel from this data?

Geoff_Krajeski1

You need the actual # Delivered & Opened.

From there you can calculate based on the total sum & then your percentage.

Geoff_Krajeski1

Not using an average or median of the percentages as provided by Marketo.

You must use the RAW numbers as I mentioned above (totals)

Jennifer_Bisho1
Level 4

Ahhhh, I see.  So for example, I would divide the "Delivered" number by the "Sent" number and multiply that by 100 to get the actual percentage.  Such as 1374/1407*100 would give me 97.7% which is the correct calculation.  I get it now.  I thought they were using an average/median formula for the total instead of doing it this way.

Thank you so much!!