Pre-Fill on Unsubscribe Page not working - Confirmed Pre-fill is enabled

lindseyannd
Level 1

Pre-Fill on Unsubscribe Page not working - Confirmed Pre-fill is enabled

I'm at a loss. I have confirmed Pre-Fill is enabled in landing pages at an admin level, the form level, and the landing page itself. Yet when I click "Unsubscribe" in an email it still does not pre-fill the email of the customer into the form. What am i doing wrong!? I can also confirm that the link in the email is being tracked and has the mkt_tok box checked. Uploading images as proof.

lindseyannd_0-1722959056543.png

lindseyannd_1-1722959085706.png

lindseyannd_2-1722959130609.png

CleanShot 2024-07-30 at 14.37.15@2x.png

10 REPLIES 10
Crystal_Pacheco
Level 4

Re: Pre-Fill on Unsubscribe Page not working - Confirmed Pre-fill is enabled

Hi Lindsey, I wonder if its an issue with Apple Mail or IOS. Can you try using a different email service provider like Gmail or hotmail and open in a browser like Chrome? Let me know if that makes any difference.

Reference:
https://knak.com/blog/link-tracking-updates-ios-17/

lindseyannd
Level 1

I'm using gmail in chrome and it's not pre-filling.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

How exactly are you testing? Note if a session is already associated with a lead, (native) Pre-Fill requires an exact match between the lead ID that's associated and the lead ID that received the email. Any mismatch and Pre-Fill is disabled.
lindseyannd
Level 1

I'm just clicking the unsubscribe link in our footer, is there a better way to test? I don't think there should be any mismatch, here's me searching the email it's going to and it shows only one ID. 

lindseyannd_0-1722968421948.png

SanfordWhiteman

I'm just clicking the unsubscribe link in our footer, is there a better way to test? I don't think there should be any mismatch, here's me searching the email it's going to and it shows only one ID. 

lindseyannd_0-1722968421948.png

Well, that doesn't tell us whether the session is associated with the same ID.

Copy the link from the email and open the link in a new Incognito window and there will be no conflict.

lindseyannd
Level 1

I opened the link in an incognito window and it still didn't work.

SanfordWhiteman

OK, that's not expected behavior at all.  You've determined that the link has the critical mkt_tok query parameter appended?

lindseyannd
Level 1

Yes, when I first click the link i see "/UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=OTYzLVROTi02MjEAAAGUo1xskP9QcTyyMbOUG8agXDbhDNM9wzZBhEgAlbuARh7kGmOl6GP3yjlHfU4DzmrN91RXtpUP4b1efHdYu7ZkVsZ2rXqR-pueVV3AS_nGFg" and then the mkt_tok went away and only showed "/UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1". Is that normal behavior?

EDIT: I saw in another thread you said this is normal behavior. So I don't know what's going on.

EDIT EDIT: I triple checked everything with a brand new email address that is not in marketo at all and still can't get pre-fill to work.

SanfordWhiteman

Exactly, the mkt_tok is stripped immediately after loading a Marketo LP, but that's fine as long as it was there to start with.

If I weren't officially on vacation, this is where we'd get on a Zoom and figure out exactly what's weird here, but unfortunately this isn't the best time. If you PM me we can figure out a time. It does seem like you're doing everything right for native Pre-Fill.

P.S. one other thing to make absolutely sure of is you're sending real emails, not samples.